Route SE to W London?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tin Pot

Guru
Hi all,

Considering biking from SE to W London, Petts Wood to Chiswick to be precise, and looking for a route.

Google offers crossing at Battersea or Vauxhall bridge, and I notice a previous thread recommending the OKR into London(!).

I bike to train for tris, but I'm not interested in racing through town, the simplest/least faff route is what I'm after!

Cheers

TP

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I'm not sure if I would head up the Old Kent Road if my final destination was Chiswick.
I would take a much more southerly route via Beckenham, Tooting, Wandsworth, and cross the thames at either Hammersmith or Putney.
But a route like that gives you so many options that it would take you a few weeks to work out what is best for you.
Maybe others SE London cyclists can help? lets see?
@ianrauk @rb58 @martint235 @jonny jeez

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
@arallsopp used to do Bromley to Chiswick up until recently I think.
He's travelling on business at the moment but sure he will reply when back incommunicado.

As what @Beebo said, a southerly route would be better. If you are fit, straight over Crystal Palace.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I'm not sure if I would head up the Old Kent Road if my final destination was Chiswick.
I would take a much more southerly route via Beckenham, Tooting, Wandsworth, and cross the thames at either Hammersmith or Putney.
But a route like that gives you so many options that it would take you a few weeks to work out what is best for you.
Maybe others SE London cyclists can help? lets see?
@ianrauk @rb58 @martint235 @jonny jeez
I used to use vauxhall bridge and the embankment to reach hammersmith from kent. I gave it up in favour of the old kent road for a few reasons.

I also ride the beckenham tooting route home sometimes (although i take it through dulwhich).its very hilly in comparrison to the okr

The okr is very cycle friendly ( despite the potholes), with wide bus lanes and very cycle aware road users. The okr also points me at westminster where i take to the mall and hyde park to reach hammersmith...both beaufitul at all times of the year.

I also tried the embankment for a year or so, The embankment is wide, but not two lanes wide. unfortunatley cars ignore this and ttreat it as a two lane road which pinches cyclists in the 9'' that are left at the edge of the road.

Lastley, the embankment attracts a heavy westerly wind (sucked along the river). On the way in that was always harsh, on the way home it was mostly a delight though.

So if you like it flat and fast, do the okr but if you want your commute to feel a little more like a proper ride then take the route across the hills.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Hi all,

Considering biking from SE to W London, Petts Wood to Chiswick to be precise, and looking for a route.

Google offers crossing at Battersea or Vauxhall bridge, and I notice a previous thread recommending the OKR into London(!).

I bike to train for tris, but I'm not interested in racing through town, the simplest/least faff route is what I'm after!

Cheers

TP
Just read your post now, so...you live in pettswood. Then i have two questions, how far into chiswick (i dont want the address just the end of town) is it the hammersmith end or the gunnersbury end. Also depending on your location in pettswood (ie is it more orpington or more bromley common) then you may also want to consider a route out to west wickham, past croydon/purley and then streatham to cross the river at someplace like wandsworth. Its surprisingly flat as it rides around the hill that makes up crystal palace.

It is,however an good 20+ miles...i do the reverse in the summer a fair bit and sometimes extend it up to tatsfeild and westerham.

If you are more bromley common and more hammersmith, then definitely do the okr, its a really good route and very direct.

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
Done the run a couple of times now (38km) -- going through SW was/is a disaster. I'm a Londoner by birth but SW is Thar-Be-Dragons territory for me.

Cycling up through Lewisham, New Cross, Camberley, Vauxhall, Battersea then got lost, crossed at Wadsworth, got on the A4...

The OKR seems way the wrong direction though..?

Top Bottom