Route suggestions near Lydney

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Philtofit

I'm hoping someone may be able to help with route suggestions. This Friday we are off to Bream near Lydney Gloucestershire. It's a family holiday that my brother and I are planning to do a few cycling days. We both ride regular on road bikes. Having looked at creating some routes on Strava, it's not as easy as I was hoping, plus so much hillier than my local area. Not sure what roads to avoid in the area that are not bike friendly.

Can I please ask for your assistance for routes we can use or adapt. If you could post the route files that would be great. If they avoided the worst hills that would really help. Any distance from 20 to 70 miles which went near Bream would be ideal.

Thank you.
Phil.

vickster

Legendary Member
Anything on Cycle-route.com?
https://www.cycle-route.com/routes/Gloucestershire-Routes-77.html
May not be easy to avoid hills if it’s a hilly area, you may just need to walk up if unable to cycle up

Globalti

Legendary Member
Where do you want to go? Somwhere scenic or a cafe for lunch? How about Tintern Abbey? It's got a nice tea room.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
How about down to Lydney, then south on the A48 (can have a few lorries, but I've found it not too bad midweek) until just before Chepstow, then turn right to Woodcroft, then right again up the B4228 to St Briavels (tea shop). Carry on until you come to the B road back to Bream. It's a bit of a pull up to St B's, but it's long and relatively gentle (if I can do it, most people can). The whole route is about 20 miles and 1500 ft of up.

OP
OP
P

Philtofit

How about down to Lydney, then south on the A48 (can have a few lorries, but I've found it not too bad midweek) until just before Chepstow, then turn right to Woodcroft, then right again up the B4228 to St Briavels (tea shop). Carry on until you come to the B road back to Bream. It's a bit of a pull up to St B's, but it's long and relatively gentle (if I can do it, most people can). The whole route is about 20 miles and 1500 ft of up.
Thanks great suggestion, I'll plot it on Strava.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Why not invest a few quid in the OS map for Forest of Dean? You will be able to see routes in their entirety and spot interesting places to visit rather than using a tiny screen, which is like staring at a map down a cardboard tube. You will also have the ability to change your mind and plot new routes as the day progresses.

Top Bottom