Routes in and around Edinburgh

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

aberal

Guru
Eoin Rua said:
Just back from a pretty good cycle, about 25 miles in total - from Haymarket, out to Roslin (pot of tea in Bovril Johnstons!), then through Bonnyrigg, Dalkeith and back in by Gilmerton, rounded off with a nice stop in the Meadows :laugh:

If you've made it to Roslin, try the route out through Penicuik and up onto the moors once you're through the town - there's a great ride out to Carlops (or slightly further to West Linton) and then back along the Biggar road.

Niblox

Edinburgh to North Berwick

Try the run from Edinburgh to North Berwick through Portobello and Musselburgh, and come back to Edinburgh by train, there is one direct to Waverley, great fun.

themightyw

NB that link does work but it seems to default to a view that doesn't show the route directly. The route proposed is Embra -> Lasswade -> Dalkeith -> follow the B6355 -> Cut across to Dunbar -> Follow the coastal road from Dunbar through North Berwick, Gullane, Musselburgh back to Embra. Not sure whether it's best to do it that way round or the reverse. Any comments appreciated!

themightyw said:
NB that link does work but it seems to default to a view that doesn't show the route directly. The route proposed is Embra -> Lasswade -> Dalkeith -> follow the B6355 -> Cut across to Dunbar -> Follow the coastal road from Dunbar through North Berwick, Gullane, Musselburgh back to Embra. Not sure whether it's best to do it that way round or the reverse. Any comments appreciated!
Ah I'm glad its not just me or did I brake the link? From the route you describe on the outward leg to Dunbar its undulating but not too hilly and the return along the coast is flat. The thing about the return along the coast it can be quite exposed and winds are predominantly west to east (but not always). I prefer hills in the wind as you get more cover; so I'd be tempted to do the flat first and hills second but you may prefer the other way.

themightyw

HLaB said:
Ah I'm glad its not just me or did I brake the link? From the route you describe on the outward leg to Dunbar its undulating but not too hilly and the return along the coast is flat. The thing about the return along the coast it can be quite exposed and winds are predominantly west to east (but not always). I prefer hills in the wind as you get more cover; so I'd be tempted to do the flat first and hills second but you may prefer the other way.

Thank you!

Top Bottom