Roval Wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

giant man

I would have thought the fulcrum zeros are better wheels than the Rovals anyway! Can't take the Specialized ones seriously personally. They do look a bit OTT.

OP
OP
chris42

chris42

Monty Dog said:
Roval is a French builder who has been developing his own innovative wheels designs for years - a bit like the Rolf wheels licensed by Trek. The 'red splat' wheels are pretty heavy though, so not sure whether the extra weight is worth the benefit. The red bit does look cheap and plasticcy too - the carbon wheels are something like £1700 so not cheap. I'd rather have a pair of Boras or Fulcrum carbons at that price, plus a few hundred change.

Specialized have bought the company and the right to use the name Roval

I saw an interview with the Specialized owner , i think its was on cycle tv or some online cycle programme . He said they had to track down the chap who owned the Roval name as they were looking for a name to use on top end wheels that may sell better if not branded Specialized.

They liked the Roval name, a company which had made some wheels in the 70's but wasnt trading now. the story went that the owner of the name had pretty much forgot about it and they offered him some $$ out of the blue. He took it and Spech starting making high end wheels with the name roval on them.

Thats all from memory of a video interview watched a couple of years back, so some bits could be made up and some forgotten, but I dont think Roval much more than a marketing name used by Specialized , doesnt make them a lesser wheel though. Plenty of companies use this tactic when their brand looses kudos and and a new level is needed.

Mortiroloboy

skwerl said:
They are indeed made by Specialized

Locate a participating dealership, and you can 'borrow' a set of Roval wheels for a test ride. I personally think they look awful with the centre spokey thing.

Top Bottom