Rowing machine recommendations?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CXRAndy

Guru
There is only one that I'd recommend is the concept 2. Also get the best display. That way you can link into the internet and use online training and racing

Badger_Boom

Über Member
Ask a rowing forum, not a bunch of cyclists ! :giggle:

I'm a rower who took to cycling if that helps. ^_^

PK99

Legendary Member
To a degree, I suppose the choice depends on whether one has been a rower or not.

I rowed long before I took up cycling, and despite what Water Rower people say, the C2 is a better mimic of the techniques and sensations of rowing.

If you haven't rowed and simply want a fitness tool, the choice might be different.

The best rower is the one you use!

I got a c2 during covid times. A lot were still on lockdown but I was working so bought one for fitness. They were like hen's teeth and it took me 13 weeks or longer for it to turn up. I put it together and did one session then the next day I broke my arm in a cycling accident on my week old Brompton! It took 7 weeks before I could row without my arm hurting.

I did a few sessions then it got folded up into the corner of the dining room. As one last bit of rowing related mishap our garage under the house developed a spring that flooded it out. Since that was going to be my pain cave with rower, turbo and weights it also scuppered our plans.

Needless to say we wasted money on it but I know one day I'll get back into it. My point is that if you are really going to use a rower then IMHO a concept 2 is the best option long term. Cheap will not be repairable like C2. Indeed I'm not sure water rower is as repairable but at the same sort of price they should be.

The big thing with c2 after repairability, durability and actual performance/feel, is the way the pm5 controller links in with various things. You can link to heart rate strap, phone or tablet and also computer. This means you can take simple or more complex approach towards its use. I used it to record the workout and link it into garmin connect. You can also program the pm5 controller for a workout. C2 also publish workout of the day (WOD). This gives three workout levels according to fitness. There's also training plans similar to the couch to 2k running plans. You can program the controller yourself or press a provided button order to set one up from c2. That then tells you when to push and when to ease up and other elements too.

I know the OP isn't planning on being a hard-core rower but the ability to do this and more future proofs the equipment. You might want to do more later.

There are other kit you could get. I quite fancied the versaclimber.

Versaclimber

OP
OP
GlamorganGuy

GlamorganGuy

The best rower is the one you use!

I got a c2 during covid times. A lot were still on lockdown but I was working so bought one for fitness. They were like hen's teeth and it took me 13 weeks or longer for it to turn up. I put it together and did one session then the next day I broke my arm in a cycling accident on my week old Brompton! It took 7 weeks before I could row without my arm hurting.

I did a few sessions then it got folded up into the corner of the dining room. As one last bit of rowing related mishap our garage under the house developed a spring that flooded it out. Since that was going to be my pain cave with rower, turbo and weights it also scuppered our plans.

Needless to say we wasted money on it but I know one day I'll get back into it. My point is that if you are really going to use a rower then IMHO a concept 2 is the best option long term. Cheap will not be repairable like C2. Indeed I'm not sure water rower is as repairable but at the same sort of price they should be.

The big thing with c2 after repairability, durability and actual performance/feel, is the way the pm5 controller links in with various things. You can link to heart rate strap, phone or tablet and also computer. This means you can take simple or more complex approach towards its use. I used it to record the workout and link it into garmin connect. You can also program the pm5 controller for a workout. C2 also publish workout of the day (WOD). This gives three workout levels according to fitness. There's also training plans similar to the couch to 2k running plans. You can program the controller yourself or press a provided button order to set one up from c2. That then tells you when to push and when to ease up and other elements too.

I know the OP isn't planning on being a hard-core rower but the ability to do this and more future proofs the equipment. You might want to do more later.

There are other kit you could get. I quite fancied the versaclimber.

Versaclimber

Thanks for this! I'm a cyclist and runner and have never rowed for real, only on machines like the one I had at home as a teenager. C2 does sound like a no-brainer. Intrigued by this Versaclimber too, never heard of it before but now have strong urge to give it a go.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Togetehr with your machine you will need some technique and motivation. I can strongly recommend https://rowalong.com/ John does a huge amount of videos to get you going and keep you going without screaming at you in a drill instructor way. With the latest C2 computer (PM5 is what you are looking for) you can automatically program the intervals/sessions using an app. Another bonus for the C2, if you have an old one it is pretty trivial to upgrade the computer on its own.

OP
OP
GlamorganGuy

GlamorganGuy

Togetehr with your machine you will need some technique and motivation. I can strongly recommend https://rowalong.com/ John does a huge amount of videos to get you going and keep you going without screaming at you in a drill instructor way. With the latest C2 computer (PM5 is what you are looking for) you can automatically program the intervals/sessions using an app. Another bonus for the C2, if you have an old one it is pretty trivial to upgrade the computer on its own.

Just heading down a rowalong rabbit hole

If you get the c2 read up on drag factor and resistance settings. Drag factor is important.

Another tip, look at the power curve. It's a display setting which effectively shows how you deliver the power or force in your stroke. You want a nice, round curve without individual peaks or wobbles. If you drive hard at the beginning of your stroke it'll have a pear to the left, if not more evenly spread. With knowledge it can be used to help get the most out of your stroke.

Final tip if you get a c2, read up the various support pages on the concept 2 website. They're actually very good for learning about your rower and how to get the most out of it. Plus sign up for workout of the day. You can get it emailed to you.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Just bought a refurbished Concept 2 to try to mix things up.
looking forward to some pain sessions.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Concept2 I've got the T-shirt........that was a few years ago now

1000000.jpg

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
Wish I'd noticed this thread earlier. Had a Concept 2 Model D, for around 5 years now, but never took it as seriously as I have until this year. Had a Roger Black Air rower from Argos, prior to it, which was around £200 at the time and its really not as far away as the price suggests. Could get a decent workout on it.

Tried to sell the C2 at the start of the year as in 2022 it was just an ornament, had it on Gumtree and just got messages from @rseholes so decided to keep it. Got a heartrate monitor and researched about drag factor, also about technique as mine has been way off for years. When I've used these in gyms the damper was nearly always set to 10. After researching drag factor, like it set to around midway. One thing having your own machine makes you realise (well my experience) how many gyms don't look after them. Rough action, the handle always left on the rest etc. Will have to look into the power curve as mentioned above.

It seems like such a simple machine, surely a Chinese brand or something could emulate it for cheaper. If you buy a Concept 2 guess you know what your getting though, slight risk buying a cheaper unkown. The high price of used machines put me off so got a new one.

The PM5 has been around for ages, makes me wonder if a replacement is around the corner, yet it does everything so maybe not needed. Find the Erg data app really flakey though. Despite firmware updates, different phones (Iphone and Android), App updates sometimes just won't connect. Quite common when you look at the comments on the app store. Find it best to clear the cache on my phone and reboot it before connecting.

Getting right into it now and pleased I kept it. Don't bother cycling anymore as prefer the all over body workout this gives. It's also low impact like cycling as one of my knees isn't great. Its really worth making sure your using the right technique on these though as it seems to go for your back if you don't, which isn't great.

It's quite an expensive machine as is around a grand now, mine was £860 when purchased. Still probably one of the cheapest gym standard machines you can buy, also simple and will last forever if looked after.

Top Bottom