Rowing Machines?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PK99

Legendary Member
View attachment 155007

I bought one of these from John Lewis. It's a brilliant bit of kit, and helped immensely when I knackered my shoulder on a pedestrian in March.

I had one of those for a few years - until I discovered cycling - having been a rower, it was the closest feel to being on the water, far more responsive to effort applied than the concept.

Worth noting that while the rowing machine is a good way of maintaining fitness or rehabbing after injury, rowers also spend many hours in the gym pushing lumps of iron around and not just to maximise power output. I recall Steve Redgrave pointing out onetime that while Rowing & Ergo do great things for Cardio, upper body, legs and back they do bugger all for front/core strength and without doing specific work on that he would fold up like a piece of soggy cardboard. Given the essential role core stability plays in cycling, don't rely solely on the Ergo when rehabbing or overwintering in the gym - core exercises are essential.

Stephenite

Membå
Recently, I've been working in one place and on a course in "Personal Development" (don't ask) at another. In the basement of the building in which i do the course there is a gym with a Concept 2 rower. Brilliant! I sneak away 10 min before lunch, put on the headphones, and bang out a quick 5k. Return to my desk with a baguette, a couple of boiled eggs, and a warm glow. Nobody is any the wiser!

...but, seriously... The Concept 2 is a great piece of kit. I've been looking at buying one but they cost about a grand. That's just about a grand more than i can afford right now.

bikeman66

Thinking I'd like to work the upper bit , rowing machine seems like an idea? Anybody else use one?
As a rowing coach, I would mostly agree with the comments made regarding the Concept II rowing machine. It is the standard issue ergo out there for a reason I guess, and for "gym" rowers it works fine. For actual rowers, looking to improve technique, the Oartec Slider comes up trumps, mainly because it seriously punishes you for poor technique, whereas the Concept II won't so much.

I have a Concept II Model D, which, in my opinion is the best yet. The monitor is the important thing. They're a fairly expensive component, so I would advise keeping the monitor in a warm, dry environment if you end up getting a Concept II. Our gym at the rowing club suffers from condensation and our monitors suffered badly before we learnt to take the off the machines and store them in the club room.

Whatever rowing machine you decide to buy, I would really advise looking at YouTube video's to show you the correct technique. The British Rowing website will probably have expert technique video's in their free area. It is very easy to damage your lower back if your technique is poor.

Concept II do factory refurbished machines at fairly good prices, and I believe you can still rent them too. Having said that, eBay is usually awash with Concept II's.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
On the subject of technique, (and bear in mind I'm not only an idiot but also an ignoramus) I noticed that a lot of people do a weird thing keeping their hands behind their knees and then having to lift their hands up & over their bent knees. It looked very weird and wrong. I had a bit of tuition from the regular gym staff when I started my rehab so fortunately never picked up that habit.

On the subject of technique, (and bear in mind I'm not only an idiot but also an ignoramus) I noticed that a lot of people do a weird thing keeping their hands behind their knees and then having to lift their hands up & over their bent knees. It looked very weird and wrong. I had a bit of tuition from the regular gym staff when I started my rehab so fortunately never picked up that habit.

At a guess, from a non-rower, I assume it helps raise the blades clear of the water.

Or maybe not.

PK99

Legendary Member
At a guess, from a non-rower, I assume it helps raise the blades clear of the water.

Or maybe not.

Follow the technique of the famous German oarsman, Hans Bodyslide.

At backstops, lead away with the hands, (Hands)
When arms are fully extended lean the body forward , do not bend the knees yet (Body)
When you feel the tightness behind the knee, begin to bend the knees and allow the seat to come forward all the way to front stops (Slide)
At the catch, lean back and drive with the legs, finally pulling with the arms.
From the catch (placing the blade in the water) to the finish (when the blade is lifted from the water) is one smooth, accelerating effort.

In real rowing, the hands lift slightly at front stops, to place the blade in the water. Through the drive the hands stay level. At full leg extension the arms take over. At backstops the hands drop to raise the blade clear of the water. In the recovery, (Hans Bodyslide) the hands again stay level.

On the ergo there is no need to drop/raise the hands in the same way, but you can always spot a real rower as they keep that aspect of technique.

Key errors most gym ergo users show are:

1. Bum shoving - at the start of the stroke, pushing the seat back before taking the catch and then yanking the "oar" using the lower back muscles WRONG AND DANGEROUS

2. Bending the knees first from back stops forcing the hands to do an up and down over the knees
WRONG and in a real boat would have it rocking all over the place. The hands should be moving in one plane both on the stroke and on the recovery.

Gym staff generally have no idea of how to row or use the ergo correctly.

See: (which both show a slightly different catch sequence than I was taught 40 years ago..)

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...FFC7C90056269FBD871BFFC7C90056269FB&FORM=VIRE

or

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...269FBD871BFFC7C90056269FB&fsscr=0&FORM=VDQVAP

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
[...]

2. Bending the knees first from back stops forcing the hands to do an up and down over the knees
WRONG
and in a real boat would have it rocking all over the place. The hands should be moving in one plane both on the stroke and on the recovery.
Well, whaddya know. I was right, for once :smile:

And it looks like the gym person who instructed me did have a clue. (Actually I know her well, and that doesn't surprise me at all)

Last edited:

bikeman66

Follow the technique of the famous German oarsman, Hans Bodyslide.

At backstops, lead away with the hands, (Hands)
When arms are fully extended lean the body forward , do not bend the knees yet (Body)
When you feel the tightness behind the knee, begin to bend the knees and allow the seat to come forward all the way to front stops (Slide)
At the catch, lean back and drive with the legs, finally pulling with the arms.
From the catch (placing the blade in the water) to the finish (when the blade is lifted from the water) is one smooth, accelerating effort.

In real rowing, the hands lift slightly at front stops, to place the blade in the water. Through the drive the hands stay level. At full leg extension the arms take over. At backstops the hands drop to raise the blade clear of the water. In the recovery, (Hans Bodyslide) the hands again stay level.

On the ergo there is no need to drop/raise the hands in the same way, but you can always spot a real rower as they keep that aspect of technique.

1. Bum shoving - at the start of the stroke, pushing the seat back before taking the catch and then yanking the "oar" using the lower back muscles WRONG AND DANGEROUS

WRONG and in a real boat would have it rocking all over the place. The hands should be moving in one plane both on the stroke and on the recovery.

Gym staff generally have no idea of how to row or use the ergo correctly.

See: (which both show a slightly different catch sequence than I was taught 40 years ago..)

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...FFC7C90056269FBD871BFFC7C90056269FB&FORM=VIRE

or

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...269FBD871BFFC7C90056269FB&fsscr=0&FORM=VDQVAP
100%

Yorksman

Thinking I'd like to work the upper bit , rowing machine seems like an idea? Anybody else use one?

I use an Infiniti rower. It's similar to the Concept which I used to use many years ago. Be careful and use it correctly. many people hurt their lower back because they use that area to help them pull. Have a look at some videos on correct rowing position. They are great fun when using them for an different type of exercise.

xinfiniti-r100-rower-light-commercial.jpg

It's very tough and completely stable. Resistance settings (via electro magnets) are adjustible on the computer and the slider can be raised vertically for easier storage.

Last edited:
Top Bottom