Rowing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bpsmith

Veteran
Been thinking about ways of keeping me fit, mentally and physically, over the Winter.

Cycling will always be number one, let’s get that straight now! :smile:

For the times when time itself dictates otherwise, I am wondering what’s the best way of keeping fit. I am also interested in toning up too.

Been thinking about a Water Rower. Does anyone else partake in rowing and how has it affected you for Fitness, Weight Loss and/or Toning U?

Also, has it changed your Cycling at all, positively or negatively?

screenman

Legendary Member
I do a couple of k twice a week in the gym. I doubt I would notice any shape/weight or fitness difference as it takes up only a very small amount of my exercise time.

Would a turbo not be better, although I prefer a more overall regime myself. This is my week.

4 hours swimming.
3 hours gym.
3 + hours bike.

+ Unfortunately too many hours eating.

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
I don’t have the time to get to the gym these days @screenman. During the Summer I manage to get a 1.5 hour ride midweek, with a longer 4 hour ride on the weekend. That’s all I can squeeze in.

I don’t get the same ride time during the Winter and would also like to add something extra during the Summer, but literally on an adhoc 30 mins basis wherever I can. Potentially on a daily basis then.

The only thing I really enjoyed at the gym was the Rower. Really enjoyed it in fact.

I do have a Turbo which I plan to definitely add into the mix this year too.

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
I bought SWMBO a Concept 2 rower earlier this year. She does 10 minutes a day. I think it's toning bits up.....
What are the C2 rowers like? Are they better than the Water Rowers?

I just really like the aesthetics of the Water Rower and supposed to be quieter too.

screenman

Legendary Member
I don’t have the time to get to the gym these days @screenman. During the Summer I manage to get a 1.5 hour ride midweek, with a longer 4 hour ride on the weekend. That’s all I can squeeze in.

I don’t get the same ride time during the Winter and would also like to add something extra during the Summer, but literally on an adhoc 30 mins basis wherever I can. Potentially on a daily basis then.

The only thing I really enjoyed at the gym was the Rower. Really enjoyed it in fact.

I do have a Turbo which I plan to definitely add into the mix this year too.

I get up at 5am most mornings to fit all mine in, mind you I am in bed just after 10.30 most evenings.

If you enjoy the rower then there is no reason not to get one if funds allow.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
What are the C2 rowers like? Are they better than the Water Rowers?

I just really like the aesthetics of the Water Rower and supposed to be quieter too.
I asked around and they were the only one recommended. It's really very nice, even though it's an older version.
I looked at the water rowers but they were too dear

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
I get up at 5am most mornings to fit all mine in, mind you I am in bed just after 10.30 most evenings.

If you enjoy the rower then there is no reason not to get one if funds allow.
I am a “night person” and rubbish in the mornings. I am slowly trying to change my body clock as have flexi time at work and my Wife is more of a morning person too.

Hoping to end up grabbing them me before work to get fitter and focus the mind more once I arrive at work.

I have about £300 set aside at present and able to get a WaterRower with 10% off online and nothing to pay for 12 months 0%.

The quieter mechanism will be ideal for early mornings, as have someone living above where it will be used.

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
I asked around and they were the only one recommended. It's really very nice, even though it's an older version.
I looked at the water rowers but they were too dear
A quick look online suggested the C2 rowers were similar price to the WaterRower. It’s a lot about the noise reduction for me tbh. Plus the ability to store upright easily.

screenman

Legendary Member
I am a “night person” and rubbish in the mornings. I am slowly trying to change my body clock as have flexi time at work and my Wife is more of a morning person too.

Hoping to end up grabbing them me before work to get fitter and focus the mind more once I arrive at work.

I have about £300 set aside at present and able to get a WaterRower with 10% off online and nothing to pay for 12 months 0%.

The quieter mechanism will be ideal for early mornings, as have someone living above where it will be used.

Go for it, I feel it gives my core, biceps and if course the thighs a good workout. Also I tend to give it a bit of welly, so blowing well at the end of each session.

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
Go for it, I feel it gives my core, biceps and if course the thighs a good workout. Also I tend to give it a bit of welly, so blowing well at the end of each session.
Will run it by the Wife later, but pretty much sold in my mind tbh. It will save her listening to me moaning about not riding! :smile:

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Rowing will build upper body muscle big time . I kayaked many years ago and also have a boat . Winter on the water is not great fun unless you have a heater .

Top Bottom