Royal Wedding tour - Reivers and Hadrians Wall

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Those are stunning! Thank you so much for sharing them.

Edited to ask: what sort of bikes do you have?

Mike has a specialized tricross - he's modified it by adding frog leg brakes (Tektro CR720), and Rigida Grizzly CSS (ie ceramic) rims on Ringle hubs.
I have a Dawes Ultragalaxy but got it frame only, so the build isn't standard. The wheels are Rigida Chrina on XT, groupset is shimano 105 but I use an MTB chainset (ie 22 - 32 - 42) with a 11 - 28 road block, and also have Tektro CR 520 frog leg brakes. The rack is a steel tubus something - or - other.

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
Thanks Helen, for the next installment on CGOAB ...:thumbsup:

T

Thanks for tip.
Similarly I'd avoid the A985 through Fife and go along the Coast to Cullross (drop under the bridge at Kincardine follow the cycle path to the Road to Culross and Toryburn). Then cut up B9037 to Cairney hill and role in through Crossford to Dunfermline. It less climbing and takes in much more cycle-able roads. Its the reverse of my usual Saturday Club run. You cycle right by my house btw. In Dunfermline if you want a fast but busy route stay on the dual carriageway as shown but a more pleasurable route may be to turn right into Pittencrieff Park go down therought tha park to the bottom gate (its approximately 6m wide path here) and go along Nethertownbroad Street to Bothwell Street. If you are going up (north) through Dunfermline I'd urge you to take the Pittencrieff Park Road rather than the A823.
After Aberdour Road, Dunfermline you cut down fast to the the coast. These can be busy fast roads to Kirkcaldy, I'd tend to go via Crossgates to Donnybristle and Mossmorran and Kirkcaldy or cut down the A909 straight through the staggered junction then on the Crest of the hill is a little good surface lane which takes you straight down to Kirkcaldy.
The A91 isn't a great road either coming from Bridge of Allan (Stirling) I'd stay on the A91 to Menstrie but then turn right and cut down to B9140, Glen Ochill, Fishcross, Coalsnaughton to Dollar, then take a similar route as you've plotted to Kinross. North of Kiross though I turn right (just before the new high school) to Lethangie, past the loch and Loch Leven's Larder (if you want a food stop) to Balgedie, go up the hill (good views of the Loch) and turn left to Glen Lomond and take a quieter road to Strathmiglo.

I hope that makes sense but any questions about the route local to me in Fife just ask.

shirokazan

Veteran
HLaB, thanks for the detailed info. I'll give it a proper read tomorrow and let you know if I have difficulties interpreting! :smile:

shirokazan

Veteran
HLaB, I've had a good look at your suggestions. Thanks a lot - time to go to bed now but I'll replot my route tomorrow to take into account your excellent advice.

I notice (from looking at OS maps) that some of these revisions will take me along NCN routes in places so I guess they must be quieter alternatives to some of the A-road action I was heading for. I tend to prefer quieter back roads but sometimes there isn't much alternative (not without adding significantly to the distance) - that said I often make a more informed decision when I'm on the ground at the time, but you've done a lot of that thinking/decision-making on my behalf! Ta. :thumbsup:

fimm

Veteran
I need to go via Forth and West Calder but looking at your suggestion, I might go Carnwath > B1076 > Forth > back roads > Auchengray > back roads passing just west of Cobbinshaw Loch > West Calder. And then depending on how I feel I might take the back roads but I'm planning on camping at a site just outside Ratho (I need to be near Edinburgh to catch the train the following morning).

Thanks for tip.

Ah, I see. Things to visit (I had a look at your "Munro bagging" link).

I don't know the western end of the A71, but in the east it is one of those roads that you can cycle, but it is busy and there are more pleasant alternatives (which you have found).

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
Having enjoyed everyone's pics and write-ups I'm ashamed that I still haven't got round to sorting piccies out :blush:

Promise to get on with it soon!

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
:hello: Good morning Baggy, have you finally woken up? :thumbsup:
Hope all is well in sunny Devon!
(Just as well we weren't REALLY holding our breath ....:laugh: )

T

Top Bottom