Royal Wedding tour - Reivers and Hadrians Wall

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
HelenD123

HelenD123

Legendary Member
Helen, you might consider wearing this instead of a helmet. :biggrin:

I can go one better. I was given one of these when I was in Canada last year. :biggrin:

mesh-bug-shirt1.jpg

shirokazan

Veteran
I can go one better. I was given one of these when I was in Canada last year. :biggrin:

mesh-bug-shirt1.jpg

Given? You meet some generous folk.

And, yes, it's definitely a step or two up from the hat-with-mesh: I dread to think how bad the midges and other wee beasties are in Canada. Actually, I think I've seen some Ray Mears programmes from Canada and there was some serious midge-action.

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
My route is motivated by two things:

1) I'm working towards completing the British Cycle Quest; which is itself a manifestation of...
2) ...my desire to cycle through most of the UK (and then I can get on with exploring Europe). Back in the 1990s, I realised that I had seen very little of my own country and so the seeds were sown. However, it was only when I did LEJOG in 2009 that this itch re-emerged and now I'm busy scratching away (like a flea-ridden dog or similar). :eek:

That looks like munro-bagging for cyclists ;) ... I hadn't come across this before. How may points is that route going to "bag" you?
I am afraid what you call an itch is a permanent condition, once you've caught it :rolleyes: ... you might get periods where it goes away for a while, but I don't think you can ever shake it off entirely! :tongue:

I haven't finished the last GCOAB journal yet! No idea where I'm going, although maybe the Glasgow to Inverness route which I failed to do a couple of summers ago.

I noticed, and have been sitting on my hands for a while, to stop myself from posting a gentle reminder ... :angel:

T

HelenD123 you'll be chancing it in June - I think they're worse in the western isles so it also depends on where you go. There's a midge forecast website that you can keep in touch with

BTW Mike (the other half) has started our first Crazyguy journal and has started to write up our easter tour. He's only 3 days into it, but this is it so far: http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=RrzKj&doc_id=8729&v=3G

I think he's done a really good job.

OP
OP
HelenD123

HelenD123

Legendary Member
HelenD123 you'll be chancing it in June - I think they're worse in the western isles so it also depends on where you go. There's a midge forecast website that you can keep in touch with

BTW Mike (the other half) has started our first Crazyguy journal and has started to write up our easter tour. He's only 3 days into it, but this is it so far: http://www.crazyguyo...oc_id=8729&v=3G

I think he's done a really good job.

Thanks. I may go with my backup plan of the Lon Las Cymru then.

I must get my Crazyguy journal finished this weekend before I forget what we did!

shirokazan

Veteran
That looks like munro-bagging for cyclists ;) ... I hadn't come across this before. How may points is that route going to "bag" you?
I am afraid what you call an itch is a permanent condition, once you've caught it :rolleyes: ... you might get periods where it goes away for a while, but I don't think you can ever shake it off entirely! :tongue:
T

I hadn't thought of it like that but yes, it is a bit like Munro-bagging. For me, the idea was to get around the country, albeit at a fast pace, to give myself ideas about where to tour again but in more depth. I certainly want to go back to Dumfries and Galloway, I can't describe just how impressed I was with that neck of the woods and I only scratched the surface.

Re your last paragraph, I know only too well. I've been cycle touring since 2005 and these days I often find myself at work, wistfully thinking about thinking about future tours, maps, routes, maps, places, maps, contours, maps,...and thinking "I need more holiday!"

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
Re your last paragraph, I know only too well. I've been cycle touring since 2005 and these days I often find myself at work, wistfully thinking about thinking about future tours, maps, routes, maps, places, maps, contours, maps,...and thinking "I need more holiday!"

SNAP! If it's any consolation, at least we know there are others similarly afflicted out there ... this thread being a good example :rolleyes:

Off to read Mr Kirstie's CGOAB now :reading: ... and very nice it is, too! Please, Sir, can we have more?

T

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
Helen - regarding the midges, I wouldn't abandon any thoughts of Scottish late spring/early summer touring just yet!
If you are thinking of camping, I'd agree with what has been said above, and maybe keep it for early autumn (after the first frost) or next spring (April/May).

Having said that, I've lived in Scotland for nearly 17 years, and went hill-walking/camping pretty much most weekends for quite a few years, and survived to tell the tale (with some scratching, cursing and a midge "helmet" thingy during the summer months). It is/was always worst during mornings & evenings, as you set up/break camp and cook/eat, except for breezy days, of which there are quite a few (and always setting up the tent in exposed places, just in case). But we were rarely bothered by midges during the day while out walking.

If you were planning to use B&Bs & hostels, June can be perfectly good for cycling, including stopping without getting midged, as long as there is a breeze or if it's really bright & sunny (or ideally both :smile: ) ...
I've cycled on the Outer Hebrides in June, and it was so windy most of the time (Force 7-9!) that the midges didn't stand a chance, and we didn't get bitten once. From July and through August there is also a bigger beast to think about, of the tourist/camper van variety. It gets quite tedious on single track roads with some of the wee roads getting rather busy, especially as many of the drivers don't know the fine art of dealing with passing places properly....

T

fimm

Veteran
OK, Telemark et al,

As mentioned yesterday, here's the route that I'm planning on cycling next month: 899 miles with 33,000 ft (10,000m) of climbing (hey, that's more than Everest). :becool:

That looks like a trip and a half, wow!
A minor thing, but do you have a reason for going through Livingston? If not, I would avoid the place (and the A71) and from Carnwath take the A70 to Balerno and Edinburgh, it is by far the nicer road (more hilly, yes, but quieter). I've just been out to Carnwath and back today, as it happens.

shirokazan

Veteran
A minor thing, but do you have a reason for going through Livingston? If not, I would avoid the place (and the A71) and from Carnwath take the A70 to Balerno and Edinburgh, it is by far the nicer road (more hilly, yes, but quieter). I've just been out to Carnwath and back today, as it happens.

I need to go via Forth and West Calder but looking at your suggestion, I might go Carnwath > B1076 > Forth > back roads > Auchengray > back roads passing just west of Cobbinshaw Loch > West Calder. And then depending on how I feel I might take the back roads but I'm planning on camping at a site just outside Ratho (I need to be near Edinburgh to catch the train the following morning).

Thanks for tip.

Top Bottom