Royal Wedding tour - Reivers and Hadrians Wall

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Kirstie, any chance of mapping the photos on the Flickr map? Like mcshroom, I'm curious about the location of the photos (given my previous tours in this neck of the woods): my location-related neurosis demands it! :smile:

We are going to label them at some point - we were just getting them posted so people could see them. It's not my flickr site - it's my husband's so I can't really comment on whether we are going to map them. It's not something he's done before. If you have a question about a specific pic then I'll tell you where they were taken.

shirokazan

Veteran
We are going to label them at some point - we were just getting them posted so people could see them. It's not my flickr site - it's my husband's so I can't really comment on whether we are going to map them. It's not something he's done before. If you have a question about a specific pic then I'll tell you where they were taken.

OK, thanks, Kirstie.

I'm curious about the location of most of them, but to keep the request reasonable, where the following few taken:

1) http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrmichaelwright/5691153779/
2) http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrmichaelwright/5691726826/
3) http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrmichaelwright/5691728864/

I think I know where the one with the sign for Garvault Hotel was taken: somewhere on the road between Syre and Kinbrace, which I cycled about 4 years ago. As I approached near to the hotel, I rounded a bend and surprised a large herd of red deer who charged north and disappeared into the distance. Did you stay at the hotel?

Thanks.

OK, thanks, Kirstie.

I'm curious about the location of most of them, but to keep the request reasonable, where the following few taken:

1) http://www.flickr.co...ght/5691153779/
2) http://www.flickr.co...ght/5691726826/
3) http://www.flickr.co...ght/5691728864/

I think I know where the one with the sign for Garvault Hotel was taken: somewhere on the road between Syre and Kinbrace, which I cycled about 4 years ago. As I approached near to the hotel, I rounded a bend and surprised a large herd of red deer who charged north and disappeared into the distance. Did you stay at the hotel?

Thanks.

Yes we stayed at the hotel. It defies description as a place to stay!! It's like going back to the 70s. To identify the pics:

1. Glen Loth. When travelling north on the A9 about 5ish miles after Brora, turn left at Lothdale. It's a spectacular road
2. That was the road towards the Garvault hotel, just after we turned left at Kinbrace. The road no is the B871.
3. The old road travelling west from Tongue to Durness, just after Tongue. If you look closely at the OS map you can see a disused road which runs parallel to the main road. You can get onto it part way along and it's a traffic free way of completing the climb. It runs out at the top and you have to get back on the main road then.

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
Great photos, Kirstie! ... and wall-to-wall :sun: ! I take it your route was counter-clock-wise?

HJ has finally finished his write-up of our tour ... so we are only waiting for Baggy ;)

T

shirokazan

Veteran
Yes it was counter clock-wise...although I never thought of it in those terms.

Thanks for the response, Kirstie.

Counter-clockwise? Now, I'm confused. What was your approximate route? I gather you finished at Inverness (and I see you went through Muir of Ord on the final leg - the distillery is the clue) but other than that I'm a bit foxed.

Ta.

The route was:
Day1: Rogart - Garvault Hotel, first travelling NE to Brora, up the A9 then turning inland again.
Day 2: Garvault Hotel - Tongue, with a detour to Bettyhill and another around Torrisdale
Day 3: Tongue - Loch Shin (Overscaig hotel), via loch hope and bealach nam mairlach (off road)
Day 4: Loch Shin - Achness, via Corrykinloch and the power stations on the offroad side of loch shin (up Maovally if you are looking at OS)
Day 5: Achness - Contin, mostly off road. Strath Oykel - Croick via Strath Cuilleanach, then Gleann Mor, Strath Vaich, the A 835 and then the Strathpeffer Forest
Day 6: (absolutely knackered by this point) Contin - Inverness with a trip up strath conon, then muir of ord and the beauly firth.

It's the off road which is flummoxing you, probably!

shirokazan

Veteran
Thanks, Kirstie. After looking at the OS map on Bing, I've been able to work out your route. Looks like you've been following some tracks that you last saw in snow, if I recall correctly. Bit of a contrast, eh? Also, I think ticktockmy took that route near Loch Shin (past the power stations) on his route from Durness to Dover last year.

Must put this on my to-do list. Alas, I'm off around eastern Scotland first.

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
Thanks, Kirstie. After looking at the OS map on Bing, I've been able to work out your route. Looks like you've been following some tracks that you last saw in snow, if I recall correctly. Bit of a contrast, eh? Also, I think ticktockmy took that route near Loch Shin (past the power stations) on his route from Durness to Dover last year.

Must put this on my to-do list. Alas, I'm off around eastern Scotland first.

Do tell :reading: ...

T

P.S. If you fancy meeting up with CC Ecosse for a beer/tea&cake/ride on your travels, there are lots of us all over eastern Scotland :hello:
We have been known to meet strangers fellow CCers in beer gardens/pubs over the years (Samid, HelenD, Spandex spring to mind ...)

shirokazan

Veteran
Do tell...

T
Well...I'm catching the sleeper train which will drop me off at Aviemore first thing on Saturday 18th June and then a long meandering route which will finish with me catching the 10am train from Edinburgh on 1st July. A tad complicated to describe the route but I'll knock up map of my provisional plan and post it here tomorrow. And it'll be interesting if my plan can intersect with fellow CC'ers such as your good self :hello:

Oh, and I read the final instalment of your Perth to Glasgow (almost) tour. Sterling stuff, brought back the memories. I'd forgotten about that weird, narrow bridge on top of the pipeline: was a bit tight, and I don't think my new butterfly bars will fit. :unsure:

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
Blimey you're attentive! Yes we did Gleann Mor in the snow last year. I much prefer it without the snow.

Apologies. Part of my Scottish map OCD. :wacko:

:rolleyes: :smile: This is one of my favourite threads on CC recently ...
(I was looking at your (Kirstie's) photos carefully, trying to figure out which way round you did your route, Scottish landscape OCD :tongue: ). Inverness at the end took the guesswork out, with your photos being in order (unlike our Flickr photos which are randomly "sorted", so it's a bit more difficult just from the photos)

Looking forward to the map, S! :tongue: I am currently hatching one for a long weekend in the triangle Nethybridge/Forres/Culloden ...
It would be great if our paths crossed somewhere in "eastern Scotland" in late June/early July - just post an "attention CC Ecosse" thread before you depart.

Top Bottom