Royal Wedding tour - Reivers and Hadrians Wall

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Your Dawes will be fine, that's what it's made for :thumbsup:

T

The bike may be fine - my legs might not be though
blush.gif

shirokazan

Veteran
Many thanks - that's some mileage for 8 days without a rest day!

Hmm. Yes, day 2 ended up being 99 miles: having descended from Corris Uchaf (Upper Corris) down to the junction with B4405, there was no way I was going to go back up it to return to Machynlleth. By the standards of A roads, the A487 is fairly quiet but I knew I'd have to get off and push my bike up the road, which would entail about a 3/4 of a mile walk up a tight, twisty, busyish road with absolutely nowhere to get off the road. So, instead I decided to cycle around the massif via Tywyn and Aberdyfi which meant about another 22 miles. Thankfully it was a lovely day...

I'll zoom in and have a proper look, Wales definitely looks like a great destination for touring ... one for my (ever lengthening) list!

Oh, it is. Fairly compact, too. Like a lot of the best destinations, I went there with no real expectation and was surprised. That climb up the mountain road through Dylife and the gorge just suddenly appearing over my right shoulder was truly breathtaking. I actually said out loud, "Wow!" And the whole area around Llanidloes and Rhayader left an impression on me.

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
Chuffy and I accompanied Andy Gates on the first three days of his LEJOG, kicking off on wedding day with 75 miles across the north Cornwall coast to Wadebridge, on to Crediton the following day, another 75 miles...followed by another (can you guess?!) 75 miles of headwind up to Wells.

Wecame home yesterday with a tailwind from Wells to Taunton before hopping on to a train. Absolutely loved it, though I'm pretty tired now! Having owned my Dawes Horizon for 8 years it was about time we went on a loaded overnighting tour (B+B for me and the Chuffster, camping for Andy G)

Can't wait to plan our next tour now! :biggrin:

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
Nice one :thumbsup: - but you forgot to put up some photos for the rest of us, Baggy :rolleyes:

I've been thinking (addicitive stuff, this touring) and borrowed some maps from the work library for perusal :tongue:

T

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
Nice one :thumbsup: - but you forgot to put up some photos for the rest of us, Baggy :rolleyes:

I've been thinking (addicitive stuff, this touring) and borrowed some maps from the work library for perusal :tongue:

T
Photos to follow in a couple of days!

Maps are great...

Arch

Married to Night Train
Not a cycling tour as such, but a trip related to cycling. I went on a rock band tour bus with 15 other Velo Visionaries to SPEZI in Germany.

We did get some riding in - 4 miles or so from where the bus was parked to the show, and back again, each day, and a short pootle along the Rhine on Sunday to a riverside cafe populated entirely by cyclists, eating Bratwurst and drinking shandy.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
How technical was the off-road stuff on this section?

I'm looking at riding NCN 7 from Dumbarton to Inverness at half term week and hoping to ride it on a fully laden tourer with 35mm Marathons. Do you think it will manage that bit?

I did it on this bike shod with 28mm Conti GatorSkins and I didn't get off to walk anywhere! (although I did stop to rest once or twice).

Really must get a rack for the Croix de Fer...

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
Helen, Kirstie & Baggy - we are going blue in the face holding our breath, you are clearly not getting your priorities right! :whistle: :tongue:

T

Top Bottom