Royal Wedding tour - Reivers and Hadrians Wall

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
Ha ha - I'm trying to work out which roads and tracks north of inverness I've NOT ridden so I can make a new tour out of them. There's not much left to go at! Northern scotland OCD!!

There are places south of Inverness, too, you know :whistle: ... and what about all the islands (Northern & Western)?
:tongue:

T

There are places south of Inverness, too, you know :whistle: ... and what about all the islands (Northern & Western)?
:tongue:

T

Done most of the islands but would be happy to go back, ridden the full length of scotland as part of a lejog, also toured in dumfries and galloway and the borders...yes I'm sure there are places south of inverness but nothing beats the far north IMO.

shirokazan

Veteran
Kirstie, I noticed in one picture you had the stove with you. Did you take the Hubba Hubba with you on this trip?

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
OK, Telemark et al,

As mentioned yesterday, here's the route that I'm planning on cycling next month: 899 miles with 33,000 ft (10,000m) of climbing (hey, that's more than Everest). :becool:

wow! That is some route, and not what I imagined when you said "eastern Scotland" at all :thumbsup: Some of our CC Ecosse "westies" would definitely disagree with you there, whereas us easties don't mind expanding our territory :whistle: ...

The route is meandering past lots of CC Ecosse members doorsteps, so watch out. :hello:

[shirokazan exits stage left to indulge in his map obsession consult his map to find out where Nethybridge is...]

Have you found it yet? You are circling it with your 1st loop! We've got friends there. If you are into wildlife, you may want to detour very slightly and see the Loch Garten Ospreys - during your tour there should be some rapidly growing chicks on view, if all goes well :biggrin:

Keep the Scottish ideas coming guys. That's my plan for my summer hols.
:wahhey: Another tourer returning to Scotland ... looking forward to your future CGOAB journal already. ;)
Are you thinking of any particular areas? The usual "if you going are anywhere near Edinburgh, come and say hello" applies!:bicycle: ...

T

It's taking about 4 years to upload your route shirokazan :sad: (

HelenD123 beware scotland in summer - the midges are horrific and are tipped to be really terrible this year - the snow coverage in winter meant the ground didn't get cold enough and kill off most of the midges, so they will be back in double triple quantities this year. Seriously don't camp, it's terrible. I'm itching just thinking about it!

shirokazan

Veteran
No we chickened out and did B&Bs or youth hostels.

Now, if only you'd known the weather was going to be so good...

Re my map. Not sure what's going on when you tried. I've just had a go and it took 20 seconds from clicking the link (and the browser hadn't cached anything from previous visits). Hopefully just a transient issue for you.

And, yes, Telemark, Nethybridge has been located and I see that I'll be doing a pincer movement around it.

shirokazan

Veteran
wow! That is some route, and not what I imagined when you said "eastern Scotland" at all :thumbsup: Some of our CC Ecosse "westies" would definitely disagree with you there, whereas us easties don't mind expanding our territory :whistle: ...

My route is motivated by two things:

1) I'm working towards completing the British Cycle Quest; which is itself a manifestation of...
2) ...my desire to cycle through most of the UK (and then I can get on with exploring Europe). Back in the 1990s, I realised that I had seen very little of my own country and so the seeds were sown. However, it was only when I did LEJOG in 2009 that this itch re-emerged and now I'm busy scratching away (like a flea-ridden dog or similar). :eek:

OP
OP
HelenD123

HelenD123

Legendary Member
:wahhey: Another tourer returning to Scotland ... looking forward to your future CGOAB journal already. ;)
Are you thinking of any particular areas? The usual "if you going are anywhere near Edinburgh, come and say hello" applies!:bicycle: ...

T

I haven't finished the last GCOAB journal yet! No idea where I'm going, although maybe the Glasgow to Inverness route which I failed to do a couple of summers ago.

OP
OP
HelenD123

HelenD123

Legendary Member
It's taking about 4 years to upload your route shirokazan :sad: (

HelenD123 beware scotland in summer - the midges are horrific and are tipped to be really terrible this year - the snow coverage in winter meant the ground didn't get cold enough and kill off most of the midges, so they will be back in double triple quantities this year. Seriously don't camp, it's terrible. I'm itching just thinking about it!

Thanks Kirstie. I've already had enough experience of midges to know to avoid them. I'd been hoping to have a week away in May but it's May already and I can't see me getting away from work :sad: . Do you think early June would be OK or would I be too late?

Top Bottom