Royce Bottom Brackets for the connoisseur.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
GuyBoden

GuyBoden

Guru
I assume you also hold the tool in place with the crank bolt so it doesn't slip at all
Yes, but carefully, I wouldn't like to scratch the gold crank bolts.:rolleyes:

Edit: On second thoughts, I'd use an old set of inexpensive crank bolts to hold the tool in place.

Last edited:

weareHKR

Then again, I'm sure my UN91 DA/XTR BB was nearer £60, 25 years ago.
Typically RRP £239
A snip at SJS for £180 inc VAT... :okay:

winjim

Smash the cistern
Come on, who doesn't want a set of ridiculously blingy carbon and gold hubs?

1621250775077.png

Special order only with a two year lead time...

http://www.royceuk.co.uk/Racing-Gold-Carbon-Road-Hubs-pr.html

It's a bottom bracket - I doubt many folks are going to be appreciating it as I ride around, noting my fine taste and offering sexual favours as a result.
Perfectly happy with the UN55 - still waiting to figure out from folk cleverer than me if its replacement is as good.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Don’t really understand the marketing logic here too. Most bikes with ST bottom brackets are either older vintage ones or from the lower end of the new market.
In the case of the former the Royce BB will be costing more than the bike or a good proportion of the buying price and someone with a budget model isn’t going to spend that.

T4tomo

Guru
Don’t really understand the marketing logic here too. Most bikes with ST bottom brackets are either older vintage ones or from the lower end of the new market.
In the case of the former the Royce BB will be costing more than the bike or a good proportion of the buying price and someone with a budget model isn’t going to spend that.
well such bikes have cheaper heavier steel ST BBs, not funky carbon and titanium ones!

I guess if you are so inclined and/or have spend the thick end of £1500 on some gold carbon and titanium hubs for your bespoke bike then c£300 for a BB is a mere drop in the ocean. they will fit in any frame with a threaded BB shell. Chris Boardman had one of their BB's in his funky Lotus bike, I think that's more their target market.

Reactions: C R

weareHKR

There is also the matter of being able to tailor the bottom bracket spindle length to the drivetrain requirements, something that seems to have been lost to all of the newer, oversized designs.

Somehow I doubt that is the market they are after.

Top Bottom