Rtw leaving July

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robing

Über Member
I had a rtw cycle trip for up to 18 months. My plan was to leave end of June, cycle to Istanbul via Helsinki as you do. First flight wasn't until end of October from Istanbul to Bangkok. Then cycle down the peninsula to Singapore and then on to NZ, Australia, Fiji, USA and maybe cyc!e Lisbon to home if I still had the inclination.

As the flights are a long way off they are still scheduled to go ahead but the whole trip is looking doubtful now. There are signs things are beginning to open up but the prospect of getting caught up in another lockdown somewhere, and the general difficulties of flights, border crossings etc are making me think I'm best postponing it til next year when the situation will be clearer.

I'm in Mexico and haven't moved since mid March. I'm not expecting to be moving by bike for several months, if at all.

To my way of thinking just because rules may allow you to leave doesn't mean that it's a good idea.

For me, the greatest risk is of a second wave (international or local) leaving a foreign cyclist stranded, trying not to fall ill.

Other risks of such a trip at this time are increased risk of crime (from desperate people or simply frightened locals), a lack of services (shops may be open - they may refuse to serve you) inadequate insurance (possibly combined with overstretched facilities). Public transport may not be available when needed. Really good connectivity is required to keep up to date on local conditions.

I'm sure you've done lots of research along your route - what are other cyclists and travellers doing? Most in the Americas appear to be gone home. Some who intended to see it out have gone home. In some places, people did not have a choice, being too far from major cities and being effectively stranded. There's a few unpleasant stories knocking about.

Have you tried speaking to any of the Embassies on your route? What is their advice, long term?

Right now I wouldn't even be counting on next year being as being a sensible option for a long, multi region tour.

Sorry.

OP
OP
robing

robing

Über Member
Thanks Hobbes for your sage advice and sorry for your predicament. I know you are right, it may not be as bad as that but who knows. Another negative is possible hostility from locals, they see this as a disease brought in by tourists and who can blame them. Previously they might have welcomed you in their homes.

When you are sat at home and the sun is shining it's hard to imagine the world has stopped turning.

OP
OP
robing

robing

Über Member
I think with the way this is unfolding - still FCO advises against all foreign travel and now the quarantine (although this wouldn't an issue if embarking on a long tour), and just general uncertainty in the whole travel industry and infrastructure means I will forget it for 2020. I should be able to defer my flights til next year. If not then worst case scenario is I lose my deposit.

Hopefully I will be able to do some for tour this summer once restrictions are lifted. Either in UK or Ireland - wild camping in Scotland looks appealling, or maybe Europe.

Mfezela

What was supposed to be three months for me (March - May) in U.K. to prep the bike, etc. and collect my Russian visa is now to become of uncertain duration. In retrospect I was fortunate to leave Brazil in March, having been in S.America for the previous eighteen months.
Starting from my home town of Durban, S. Africa in Jan 2011, I'd initially expected to take five years to cycle the world - now ten years in and I'm still only halfway. I'd be quite prepared to set off again tomorrow, but the travel restrictions mean that's not feasible. A bicycle nomad/tramp/gypsy is going to attract unwanted attention everywhere.
In an attempt to kill the boredom I registered with Pick For Britain only to be told I'm too old :-( With permission from a couple of local landowners I can at least satisfy my wild camping needs. Although to be honest, 'wild' in western ruralshire England is a bit tame.

Last edited:
@robing I think that is the wise choice.
I'm in Mexico where thankfully I have had the choice to stay or go. Since the begining of March I have been watching more and more long distance tourists pack up and go home. I've also become aware of some very unpleasant stories involving cyclists too.
I think one very important thing to remember is that the impacts will be very different in different parts of the world.
One thing my embassy (Irish) were very specific about was the increased danger in this part of the world (and I can I only see it being similar in other poorer parts). Very simply, extreme poverty will drive otherwise law-abiding people to crime and westerners will be seen as a source of $$. When people have no food......

Frankly, without an effective vaccine, I think anyone that isn't prepared to experience severe disruptions on an ongoing basis should think long and hard before setting off to far flung places.

Personally, I'm about to apply for a visa extension that I hope will bring me to the end of the year. Mexico is opening up again despite rising figures so whatever about the legality of being able to move on I have no intention in the short term. It simply is not safe.
Good luck!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Just see what happens with travel insurance too. Having had to use insurance a couple of times whilst on holiday (Icelandic Volcano and poorly child) it's very welcome fall back, especially when the hotel doesn't really want you there (both times).

OP
OP
robing

robing

Über Member
And of course many countries are not allowing entry - Australia and new Zealand for example. South Africa is closing its borders until next year I believe.

@HobbesOnTour . Would you not consider getting a flight out of Mexico or are you just going to wait it out until you can carry on?
Well, my situation is a little more complex in that I packed in my job and sold up everything to go off on this little adventure. What that meant was that going "home" would have left me depending on the goodwill of friends for an indefinite period, probably little chance of work and the death of a dream. I'm incredibly fortunate to be where I am, out of harm's way and with the resources to stay put. My health insurance (the most important component of my travel insurance) will continue to cover me - however that is kind of a moot point when health facilities are overwhelmed. I think it's most likely that was I in any other country in this part of the world I would not have had a choice - I would have had to leave. In Peru, for example, foreigners were rounded up, some at gunpoint, held in pretty uncomfortable circumstances and then flown out of the country. Other countries are similar. In Mexico, now that I'm venturing out for the first time again I receive nothing but goodwill and smiles! Even with the Visa issue, I'm told that Mexico is pretty relaxed at issuing extensions at the moment. I'm not sure other countries are, or will be, as relaxed in the future.

My "plan" was to cycle down to "el fin del mundo", but that was always open to change based on my experiences. Frankly, I think that plan is as good as dead now because looking down the road I can see major social issues exploding as a result of this virus. For now, I'm incredibly fortunate to be where I am, I'm safe and I'll take each day as it comes. At least here I get to learn Spanish ^_^

Mfezela

Even though I'm South African, I'm not permitted (never mind the inability to do so because of closed land borders and airspace) to return to S.A. at this time. Apparently I could have done so within one week of restrictions being announced, but now ⛔.
I'm in the same situation as HobbesOnTour with no assets in my home country and no real reason to return. Once international travel is available, I'm hopefully better placed being in England.

Top Bottom