Rubber bumps

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Domdom1980

Hi all

Was just cleaning the bike this afternoon on the stand and thought I'd check tyres for condition, and I've spotted a couple of 'bumps' in the rubber in the rear tyre around 100mm apart. Rest of tyre is fine.

Slightly soft under touch, but general structure of tyre is sound.

Is this something to worry about and worth considering a new tyre?

They are Hutchinson fusion 5s run tubeless and have covered about 1000km

20200803_181803.jpg
20200803_181857.jpg
20200803_181917.jpg

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It's delaminating. Time for a new tyre if you've had it a while

OP
OP
D

Domdom1980

Thanks for the replies!

I was hoping for a bit more usage than 1000km, but then I suppose it depends on what they have run over.

Front is still mint though, so not the end of the world!

OP
OP
D

Domdom1980

I only got them in January.

Might give another one a go as the front is still in good nick. I'd like to say it is down to the extreme power I'm putting down but no chance of that.

Perhaps I got a wrong'un.

Does seem like a good idea to change straight away and not go out and risk it going on me down a hill at 25mph...

Thanks for all the help.

roley poley

Über Member
I would be nosey enough to take it off to have a look on the inside under the blisters :scratch:

OP
OP
D

Domdom1980

They look slightly squared off compared to the stock image on Hutchinson's website - have you used them on a wheel-on turbo or rollers?
No, not at all, road only, might be angle of the shot that gives that impression.

I've run them around 85psi which seems around right for my weight.

The only thing I did notice was a small nick nearby and as they are tubeless I wasn't sure if that might have affected it? Maybe this caused the rubber to delaminate before resealing and me reinflating?

Ajax Bay

Guru
Top Bottom