Rubbing brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Teamfixed

Tim Lewis
Another thought... are the pads an after market product? If they are it's possible that they just happen to sit too tall in those particular calipers. Replacing with longer drop calipers seems drastic... is it a standard road frame? If so I would have thought that standard length calipers would fit ok.

Last edited:
OP
OP
fuzzybuddha

fuzzybuddha

Another thought... are the pads an after market product? If they are it's possible that they just happen to sit too tall in those particular calipers. Replacing with longer drop calipers seems drastic... is it a standard road frame? If so I would have thought that standard length calipers would fit ok.
The pads are aftermarket, they fit fine on the back and on the right side of the front. The previous pads appear to have had the same problem. The wheel seems to be original to the bike, so I do t think it is a diameter thing. Looking at it straight on, you can see one side appears lower. I might upgrade and go with a long reach front caliper.

Teamfixed

Tim Lewis
That's strange. A while back I put 700c wheels into a frame for 27inch wheels. I obviously had to get deep drop calipers for it. At the time, Tectro was the only manufacturer who did them.
Or... no idea if these are still available or if they are/were any good but I did used to see a little adaptor to drop the brake pad a little to convert shallow calipers to a deep drop.
Or... do as suggested above and file the top of that pad down a bit!

Sharky

Guru
Something is still puzzling me. If the caliper is original and the wheel and forks, then there shouldn't be a need to replace the caliper.
I still think that the photo looks like the brakes have been already adjusted to cater for worn out brake shoes and replacing with new brake shoes, normally, you would need to release the cable, which would allow the calipers to spring out.

Could you take a photo of the brake shoes and also measure the distance from the braking surface to the face of the washer or pad where it would touch the caliper. I've got a new set of brake shoes in the garage. Will measure mine and see if there is a significant difference.

Sharky

Guru
Just measured, the thickness of one shoe from braking surface to where it would touch the caliper is circa 16mm

OP
OP
fuzzybuddha

fuzzybuddha

Just measured, the thickness of one shoe from braking surface to where it would touch the caliper is circa 16mm
I just measured, it appears to be about the same, around 16mm. The arms almost seem crooked. I can’t figure out how to remedy that. Or the left arm is shorter than the other somehow. I don’t know. Maybe I will just stop with my rear brakes exclusively.

Attachments

• F69674EA-8273-4622-8831-D91ACB5039DC.jpeg
    F69674EA-8273-4622-8831-D91ACB5039DC.jpeg
    83 KB · Views: 6
  • 412F1312-D38E-4825-ADCE-96F0359171DE.jpeg
    412F1312-D38E-4825-ADCE-96F0359171DE.jpeg
    95.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 1E5B564B-B299-48AB-A0D8-8F23EFA1BC10.jpeg
    1E5B564B-B299-48AB-A0D8-8F23EFA1BC10.jpeg
    82.6 KB · Views: 6

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
There is a huge amount of clearance above the tyre... Are you SURE that you haven't got wheels that are too small! What size are they?

Sharky

Guru
Do both sides move the same when you apply the brakes, or does one side stick a bit?
Try releasing the cable and see if both sides move in and out freely when you manually squeeze them.

silva

Über Member
The bike has a sticker "... in China", it's quite possible it's an assembly of stock leftovers from 5 different vehicles including a wheelbarrow. :tongue:

OP
OP
fuzzybuddha

fuzzybuddha

Do both sides move the same when you apply the brakes, or does one side stick a bit?
Try releasing the cable and see if both sides move in and out freely when you manually squeeze them.
It appears that there is no catch or disruption in the movement. The wheel might not be original to the bike upon further investigation. The rear wheel seems to fit perfectly. I don’t know why they front isn’t.

Top Bottom