Rubbish!! :(

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrasB

Veteran
Rhythm Thief said:
My bike lock key lives with all my other keys - house keys and fuel cap key for the car - on my keyring. Is that too difficult?:tongue:
Depends, I have too many keys for one keyring & have I've forgotten to pick both sets of keys up. In all honesty though if someone actually gets to my bike then at that point a lock is fairly irrelevant as they've already got passed 2 alarmed security doors & you could use a grinder in the room for hours before anyone actually noticed the noise.

snorri

Legendary Member
Rhythm Thief said:
Is that too difficult?:tongue:
No, but it slows me down on the bike and does result in rapid pocket wear.:sad::smile:

OP
OP
AdamBlade

AdamBlade

Rhythm Thief said:
My bike lock key lives with all my other keys - house keys and fuel cap key for the car - on my keyring. Is that too difficult?:tongue:

Mine lives with all the other keys as well. Just that I forgot them all!!

At least it's secure in te works underground car park and I know it will be there on Monday

Norm

snorri said:
No, but it slows me down on the bike and does result in rapid pocket wear.;):biggrin:
+1

The problem comes when you have too many things that need locking. My solution is that each has it's own "bundle", so the Land Rover bundle has the ignition, fuel cap and garage door key, the motorbikes just have the ignition, D Lock and garage door key etc.

For the cycles, I have a Topeak Aero Wedge pack and each bike has a bracket on the saddle. In there is the puncture kit, home address & next of kin details, knife, AAA torch and keys, so I just need to make sure I have that and I'm good to go.

potsy

Rambler
Why not tape a spare key underneath your saddle,voila no problem:biggrin:
HTH.
I have car keys on 1 bundle with back door key,bike stuff on another with front door keys,think of the weight saving;)

I always carry my lock snapped shut, so I can't actually lock the bike unless I have the key on me. But I've had some nervous times having had to leave the bike unlocked, for just this reason.

All one's keys in one bunch? Sounds like a good idea, until you lose the lot! Happened to me once, nothing to do with cycling mind: I left the entire bunch on a train. Car keys, cycle lock keys, house keys, keys connected with work, the lot! Luckily my wife had a spare car key on her set, so I was able to motor down to the terminus station and dash to the police post there: very luckily some honest soul had found the bunch and handed it in. :biggrin: That was a let-off I won't ever forget! ;)

BentMikey said:
Sometimes you do. That's why I said probably. You forgotten I work almost all weekends?

Ooooh get you.;)

Actually I didn't know you did...what do you do?

Cabbying?:biggrin:

661-Pete said:
All one's keys in one bunch? Sounds like a good idea, until you lose the lot! Happened to me once, nothing to do with cycling mind: I left the entire bunch on a train. Car keys, cycle lock keys, house keys, keys connected with work, the lot! Luckily my wife had a spare car key on her set, so I was able to motor down to the terminus station and dash to the police post there: very luckily some honest soul had found the bunch and handed it in. :ohmy: That was a let-off I won't ever forget! :tongue:

Funny you say that...I almost lost my keys cycling up to Victoria even though they are a heavy bunch....just happened to notice them lying in the road in the dark when I glanced back...so there is that disadvantage of losing them.

what about having a spare key hidden somewhere on the bike. i will leave where up to you. I have one planked but i cant tell you where or it would not be secert

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Ha ... I remembered my keys ok ... just forgot a snack ...so went to lock my bike up outside a Sainsburys ... only to realise I had forgotten my lock. All the rest of the way home I was aware I felt as if I had no energy.

I've come home completely starving with the munchies now.

My car needs a PIN number* before the engine will start, so I suppose I could safely leave the key in the ignition if I wanted to. That's, at least, as long as I don't mind having everything in the car nicked...

I wonder how many people do leave the key in the exhaust pipe? Or is that only a bit of folklore? Bit like the house-key-under-the-flowerpot business, although I definitely recall visiting a house where the owner really did keep a key - where else? under the flowerpot in the porch. :biggrin:

*(yes I know it's a tautology)

MGBLemonrider

Just a cheap lock kept at work looped around one of the shed slats, key on my bunch. Do try to keep my main bunch to a minimum - house F&R; garage, there are a few that I should shed old cycle D Lock for the reasons above - car's on separate bunches.
Spare in my locker at work. If I forget my keys I have to draw the master bunch so I can get into my lockers.
So far haven't forgotten my keys. Did leave them at a work once when I used to run the then 2 miles home. It makes a long work out when you've unexpectedly have to add an additional return trip. Can't happen now with lock key on main bunch, good thing as now 12 miles each way.
Since I've been cycling in I've only forgotten my shirt once and my trousers once also. Luckily in my locker I had spare sports kit, that made do.

brokenbetty

Über Member
In the 90s I had a '73 VW camper. One day someone squished the rear bumper, and when we took it off we found a rusty old magnetic box on the inside with a spare key in it! It must have been there for decades!

Stephenite

Membå
Let my wallet at work Friday night! - a crisis as i use the bank card for everything. Luckily i'd already bought beer and fags (phew!)

Top Bottom