Rubbish

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
Yesterday I rode part of a local Sportive course that had just been used, the rubbish left behind by the riders was disgusting, wrappers, banana skins, inner tube, and even a drinks bottle in the middle of the road. All this on extremely quiet country lanes, come on guys I now most do but for those that do litter please show a little respect to our countryside.

Glover Fan

Whilst disgusting, i'm going to put it out there and suggest that the organisers should take some responsiblity for this. If they are going to charge £30+ for an event and be supplying most of the goods that end up as rubbish, then they should have a team on the broomwagon collecting the rubbish.

This however does not excuse cyclists from littering the countryside, a disgusting act if ever there was one. However, bananas etc don't particularly bother me as so long as it is thrown in a hedge it is 100% biodegradable and will give something back to the soil.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
I agree that we as a group should respect anywhere we ride,it winds me up any sort of rubbish anywhere,not just the countryside.If i am out on a long run i carry a bag to put any rubbish such as banana skins in.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Sorry guys but I disagree with the bio degradable argument. Stuff takes weeks to break down and meanwhile looks a real mess scattered about the roadside. Take your crap to the next control/ feedstation and bin it.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
Banana skins, apple cores etc will get eaten by various insects and other critters, so no harm no foul in my book, so long as food isn't thrown into fields with livestock. Smallholders and farmers have to be able to account for absolutely everything their animals eat and our scraps and leftovers aren't on the list!

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Whilst disgusting, i'm going to put it out there and suggest that the organisers should take some responsiblity for this. If they are going to charge £30+ for an event and be supplying most of the goods that end up as rubbish, then they should have a team on the broomwagon collecting the rubbish.

This however does not excuse cyclists from littering the countryside, a disgusting act if ever there was one. However, bananas etc don't particularly bother me as so long as it is thrown in a hedge it is 100% biodegradable and will give something back to the soil.
a good point. And I'll take this opportunity to point out that FNRttCers, paying from 6.5p to £1.00p a ride don't leave stuff behind. And if they did, they'd be off the list.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Must have been following the example of motons then.

I recently walked / jogged down the road from the Snake Pass to the Snake Inn. The variety and volume of crap that had been thrown on to the grass verge was positively revolting.... and this on a road that, I venture to suggest, is used mostly by people who are using it to admire the beautiful countryside !

Banjo

Banana skins, apple cores etc will get eaten by various insects and other critters, so no harm no foul in my book, so long as food isn't thrown into fields with livestock. Smallholders and farmers have to be able to account for absolutely everything their animals eat and our scraps and leftovers aren't on the list!

Paper is biodegradable so by your reasoning it would be ok to fling a newspaper out onto the verge?

frank9755

Cyclist

Yes - as we know this can cause problems. It appears that someone threw a banana skin with clenbuterol on it into a field in Spain where beef cattle were grazing last year...
whistling.gif

Banjo

Woah, chill out! Re-read my post - I was talking about food. Specifically bananas skins, apple cores, scraps and leftovers.

I know you were ,why is it ok to leave waste food lying around the countryside ? Walking around the beacons or cycling country lanes it isnt pleasant dodging other peoples old food waste ,you carried it out there why not carry it back? IMHO a banana skin is no less unsightly than any other form of rubbish.

Banjo

Because I think it's better for food to be eaten by insects etc than end up in landfill.

You could take it home and compost it or put it in the food waste recycle bin if your council does food waste.

Please dont take this as a personal dig at you, I just think that old banana skins etc strewn about detract from the beauty of our countryside.

Top Bottom