Rubbish

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
You could take it home and compost it or put it in the food waste recycle bin if your council does food waste.

Please dont take this as a personal dig at you, I just think that old banana skins etc strewn about detract from the beauty of our countryside.

No worries, I always take my rubbish home and rarely take bananas out and about (unless they're in cake) but I don't have a problem with discarded fruit and so on. It's litter that does my head in, and not just because it's unslightly, but also because of the physical harm is does to wildlife, not to mention the long-term environmental impact.

*and breathe*

:laugh:

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Banana cake ,now your talking my language :thumbsup:

Fiona N

Veteran
Banana cake ,now your talking my language :thumbsup:

Hi Banjo
You need to get up to Lakeland - best banana and walnut cake in the world (IMHO) is available from Wilf's in Staveley.

More seriously on the litter question, I was in the last quarter of a 400km Audax field this weekend, and I don't remember seeing a single piece of litter - fresh banana skins, gel wrappers, jelly baby bags and the like - that I thought we'd left. Unlike being out in the Lakes on a nice Sunday when the place is littered with the above and plastic 'sports drinks' bottles. If folk on a 400 can take their litter home, why can't the weekend warriers out for a quick 100km (or less)? It's about the culture, isn't it, and respect for other people.

I know you were ,why is it ok to leave waste food lying around the countryside ? Walking around the beacons or cycling country lanes it isnt pleasant dodging other peoples old food waste ,you carried it out there why not carry it back? IMHO a banana skin is no less unsightly than any other form of rubbish.

Totally agree, perhaps those who think its ok would like it dumped on the road outside their house!

Chris.IOW

Absolutly agree that the riders have a responsibilty to take their rubbish home with them, inc banana skins, it just looks so unslightly, and a banana is not exactly an indigenous species for our wildlife to be feasting on.

Also agree that organisers of big events have a responsibilty to clean up after their event and remove anything left by unscrupulous riders.

But that's just my opinon.!:whistle:

Nebulous

Guru
Really? The one I threw on my garden was gone in about a week.

I've wondered about banana skins. I used to stop near a bin and eat my banana, but recently I'm feeling a bit more confident about my handling and have been eating it on the move. I wondered about throwing it into the verge, which tends to be quite rough grass, so it's unlikely anyone would notice. However I tend to just put the skin back in my jersey pocket and take it home. Our council does food recycling, so it doesn't go in landfill anyway.

I think it decomposes in a couple of months under most circumstances, although I have seen an appeal for people not to leave banana skins on mountains in Scotland. Apparently the low temperatures, inhospitality to bacteria and lack of insects greatly delays the decomposition.

asterix

Comrade Member
Absolutly agree that the riders have a responsibilty to take their rubbish home with them, inc banana skins, it just looks so unslightly, and a banana is not exactly an indigenous species for our wildlife to be feasting on.

Also agree that organisers of big events have a responsibilty to clean up after their event and remove anything left by unscrupulous riders.

But that's just my opinon.!:whistle:

Agree.

Hope I don't see litter louts on my upcoming sportive :ohmy:

Philip Whiteman

Über Member
I have always found that people of a lower social order tend to ride sportives and are therefore more inclined to discard their rubbish at the most inappropriate places. We in audax are of course more refined and tend to eat cake which does usually come unpackaged. :blink:

Fiona N

Veteran
I have always found that people of a lower social order tend to ride sportives and are therefore more inclined to discard their rubbish at the most inappropriate places. We in audax are of course more refined and tend to eat cake which does usually come unpackaged. :blink:

:blush:

asterix

Comrade Member

I will report back. I have never done a sportive before. I used to do audaxes but didn't like stopping at controls. The organisers used to give me funny looks when I wasn't bothered about getting my card stamped. What's more, I prefer flapjacks over cake.

nickds

I will report back. I have never done a sportive before. I used to do audaxes but didn't like stopping at controls. The organisers used to give me funny looks when I wasn't bothered about getting my card stamped. What's more, I prefer flapjacks over cake.

You should do the AMR Castle 100. We have Banana loaf (made 20 of those), panforte (just made the two), flapjacks (800 made), chocolate refrigerator cake (about 1 sq metre), sultana & honey loaves (about 10) - all at the Goudhurst stop (88 miles in). Takes SWMBO & me a couple of days to make it all. Plus the usual bananas, satsumas, sweets, biscuits etc.

We have separate bags for compostable, recyclable and general waste. Riders get told off in no uncertain terms if they leave any rubbish (gel packets etc.).

Had 1000 riders through on Sunday. All very pleasant. Good day all round. Ran out of the home-baked stuff before the end, though.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
I don't enjoy the sight of spent energy gel packets and discarded water bottles, it's almost as if clubs or groups bulk buy cheap water bottles specifically so they can discard them on the ride. As for fruit and veg, as far as I'm concerned, it's a crime to bag it up for landfill, as much as it looks messy, it does soon break down and degrade, same as apples, conkers, leaves, blossom all fall from trees and land somewhere, they're all soon degrade or are consumed.

Top Bottom