Rucksac vs. panniers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
I found when I used panniers I ended up carring stuff that I never used "just in case" and this got to a ridiculous level. Now I only carry with me what I can get in my saddle wedge or jacket pockets and that includes lunch.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I don't get the idea that panniers 'uglify' a bike. Frankly, once I'm on it, it's pretty much as ugly as it's going to get...:smile:

biking_fox

Guru
Rucksack. Certainly for commuting.

Have tried Rsack, racktop, and paniers.

RSack - yes you get sweaty but as I need a shower/change anyway doesn't make any difference. Impeded sight - I don't find this. Make sure you get a sack with a waist belt, takes the load off the shoulders, also either narrow, or with pocket side staps so you can see.

Racktop - basically too small. Will just fit lunch in, can't get lunch and clothes.

Paniers. I only have enough stuff for 1 panier and I disliked how it effected the bike performance. It was off centre weight.

The Racktop bags is probably best but only if you really don't need much.

PrettyboyTim

Arch said:
I don't get the idea that panniers 'uglify' a bike. Frankly, once I'm on it, it's pretty much as ugly as it's going to get...:smile:

I think also a lot of pannier design is very utilitarian and uninspiring. The other day I saw one of these clipped on to a bike in front of me:

17197L.jpg

Apparently you can get them at http://www.velorution.biz/?page_id=1088]Velorution

The makers of the bag, Basil make quite a lot of interesting looking panniers, although the interesting ones seem to be for women more than men.

twowheelsgood

Panniers, definitely and the RIGHT PANNIERS at that.

1. they have to be Ortlieb as the fixing system is as easy as picking it up and putting it down, no faffing with any ties or elastic. If you have only used cheap ones before these are amazingly simple and effective, literately a fraction of a second on and off, totally secure and no bits to lose.

2. standard 40 litre touring panniers are much too big and flappy for commuting.

The answer is to use the orlieb sportpacker - excellent. Mine are 4 years old, used every day, totally waterproof and look almost new. A real investment - cheap panniers are a false economy. You also don't need 2kg of ugly metal either. A Tubus fly is 330g, ideal for commuting loads and very elegant.

I just feel so much freer with panniers, it isn't just a sweat thing, better for observation. I do use a rucksack on a mountainbike though, full suspension racks aren't very satisfactory, although you can turn a bike with an orlieb on upsidedown and shake it and it won't come off.

If not sure I buy the rucksack as protection thing either. Surely anything hard is going to cause a break or rupture if you fall on it as you get a point impact? I wouldn't like that between my spine and the hard road.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Can't disagree with any comments here - it's all personal choice.

I thought about paniers, but found a rucksack that held what I needed and was the type with air venting - although I get totally sweatty on a bike, rucksack or not, so it's a change of clothes. The better rucksacks don't move about and are comfy - much better now than when I used to commute 20 miles each way with this old thin strapped 'bag' type affair.

My commute is only 8 miles each way and I carry enough for what I need - lock, waterproofs, puncture kit, phone, wallet, shirt, undies and my lunch.

Arch

Married to Night Train
PrettyboyTim said:
I think also a lot of pannier design is very utilitarian and uninspiring. The other day I saw one of these clipped on to a bike in front of me:

17197L.jpg

Apparently you can get them at http://www.velorution.biz/?page_id=1088]Velorution

The makers of the bag, Basil make quite a lot of interesting looking panniers, although the interesting ones seem to be for women more than men.

To be stereotypical for a moment, I suspect that most women are more interested in 'nice' design, and men in 'utility' - lots of straps and pockets and stuff. I, of course, buck the trend, and perhaps most 'serious' female cyclists are the same (as opposed to ladies who just use a bike to pootle to the shops)... I'll stop there, before I dig myself any further into generalisation. Perhaps I should say, that is the manufacturer's idea of how it is...

FM, that's very sweet of you to say so:smile:

Tynan

Veteran
one pannier unbalances the bike?

I wish someone had told me that

that and pedaling huh?

Arch

Married to Night Train
Tynan said:
one pannier unbalances the bike?

I wish someone had told me that

that and pedaling huh?

Yeah, I've managed to ride with one pannier, and that a really hefty laptop bag at that. I think some of us just have a natural advantage. Over in beginners I read that having wheel reflectors totally unbalances a wheel, and yet it's never made any difference to me....

biking_fox said:
RSack - yes you get sweaty but as I need a shower/change anyway doesn't make any difference. Impeded sight - I don't find this. Make sure you get a sack with a waist belt, takes the load off the shoulders, also either narrow, or with pocket side staps so you can see.

On a bike that doesn't make so much difference though as you need to be upright for a waist belt to share the strain. A chest strap is more important to keep the sac stable, though even that I've never found a problem.

Rucksack when I was a student 'cause I had to carry stuff between buildings and lectures.

Pannier/s for when I commuted to work because I had somewhere to stash my stuff.

Currently bumbag for mtn biking but soon a Camelbak type thing and panniers or big saddlebag for the roadbike and occasionally a handlebar bag for day rides if I need a map in front of me.

Arch

Married to Night Train
With regard to landing on your bag, BTW - I think that varies according to terrain - yes you might want to be protected from landing on a rock, but in town you might not want to land on a bag full of hard stuff if the alternative is a flat road..

Top Bottom