Rudge steering lock barrel removal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ren531

Über Member
There was a mention on one of my post by skipdriver about the possibility of removing the steering lock barrel on my rudge to find the number on the barrel in order to get a key, does anyone know how to remove the barrel out of a rudge frame without damaging it or the frame , would be great to have a working steering lock
IMG_20190608_065652.jpg

classic33

Leg End Member

There was a mention on one of my post by skipdriver about the possibility of removing the steering lock barrel on my rudge to find the number on the barrel in order to get a key, does anyone know how to remove the barrel out of a rudge frame without damaging it or the frame , would be great to have a working steering lock View attachment 470035
Do you have or know of an independent local key cutting shop which keeps chains of loose keys for undoing locks ? The type of key you will need is a single edged key. If you can get some thin oil into the mechanism before you take it to such a place would help in freeing it up .
I used to have to go out with bunches of keys to unlock cars that drivers had managed to lock themselves out of in the 70's.

OP
OP
ren531

ren531

Über Member
Yes there is a local independant lock smith i will try your sugestion, i have found a key that will go into the lock but not turn it so maybe take that key with me too, thanks for the info

Do you have or know of an independent local key cutting shop which keeps chains of loose keys for undoing locks ? The type of key you will need is a single edged key. If you can get some thin oil into the mechanism before you take it to such a place would help in freeing it up .
I used to have to go out with bunches of keys to unlock cars that drivers had managed to lock themselves out of in the 70's.

The FS range of keys if my memory serves me right. At my first job at a Vauxhall dealership it was a 1 in 200 chance which one fitted your Viva / Victor.

kynikos

Veteran
The FS range of keys if my memory serves me right. At my first job at a Vauxhall dealership it was a 1 in 200 chance which one fitted your Viva / Victor.

Off topic, I know, but I recall sitting in 'my' Viva one night, about to set off home from work. Something didn't feel quite right. I looked around, still a bit confused as to why, and it was only when I looked at the mileage I realised I was in the wrong car...

Top Bottom