Rugby old man...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisKH

Guru
Nice.

I have done the same before, but people do take the mickey. I came across someone broken down and nipped home for some jump leads. I felt that was worthwhile and hope someone would do the same if it happened to me.

Another time I was cycling across a station car park and a couple had stopped a car rolling down the hill as someone had left their hand brake off. I rang the police as no one could get in the car and helped the couple push the car to the space at the top of the hill where it had been parked (it had come to rest against their car). Whilst I was on the phone to the police holding this car in place, the other two legged it and left me holding the baby, so to speak.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
ChrisKH said:
Another time I was cycling across a station car park and a couple had stopped a car rolling down the hill as someone had left their hand brake off. I rang the police as no one could get in the car and helped the couple push the car to the space at the top of the hill where it had been parked (it had come to rest against their car). Whilst I was on the phone to the police holding this car in place, the other two legged it and left me holding the baby, so to speak.

Candid Camera? :smile:

Nice story Crock - still decent folk about.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
IIRC, Premier Inn is at the top of the hill too, just near the M6.

Top bloke - would like to think that I would do the same, but regret to say that I probably wouldn't. Well, not for CoG anyway, maybe for someone else.....
:smile:

MichaelM

Guru
User1314 said:
"I'll give you a lift."

At which point you remembered that you're a CC regular and replied:

" No thanks, don't you know that the majority of the journeys made by car are less than 3 miles and are unnecessary. Petrol is obviously far too cheap if you can afford to run strangers around willy nilly in that gas guzzling van."

And off you stormed.....

A student turned up at work and asked where a certain building was he needed to get to for an exam. I hadn't heard of the place he was after before. I asked to look at the address and he was at the wrong university :smile:. Turned out he got off the train and asked people where the university was. Someone kindly gave him a lift and brought him to the wrong university. Luckily he had enough time spare time to get to his exam before it started.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Couple of years ago I mis-fuelled my car, which conked out 100 yards from the petrol station in the middle of a busy junction. In the hour or so that I sat there waiting for the AA about six different people stopped to offer help, one young lad even misunderstood my explanation, went away and came back with a can of petrol! A bunch of pissheads came out of a pub and offered to push me but I declined that offer.

More recently I came of out B&Q one wet winter evening to see an African bloke struggling along the pavement with an ironing board and several bags of bulky goods. Stopped and gave him and his goods a lift back to his flat. He was going to walk the mile there in the rain with all his shopping!

Some years ago my wife and I spotted a roadie walking along very long road with a dead bike. Stopped and he grudgingly admitted that he'd punctured and had no spare tube. So we threw the bike in the back of the car and gave him a lift home. As we reached his place his wife came out looking grim, arms folded and asked loudly in exasperated tones: "Alright, so what's he done this time?" Poor bloke.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Yeah yeah, I admit it, I put petrol in a diesel car. The reason for my mistake is too embarrassing to post on here.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Ghost Donkey said:
A student turned up at work and asked where a certain building was he needed to get to for an exam. I hadn't heard of the place he was after before. I asked to look at the address and he was at the wrong university ;). Turned out he got off the train and asked people where the university was. Someone kindly gave him a lift and brought him to the wrong university. Luckily he had enough time spare time to get to his exam before it started.

I got off the train at Oxford once to be asked by a woman with a French accent 'which way to the sea?' I told her she could hardly get further from the sea anywhere in the country.

Nice story, OP.

Top Bottom