Rugby season!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Best game of the weekend looks to be Northants v Exeter. Have a lovely time at Twickers, CoG. I couln't go to the all expenses nosh up with clasy gin and tonics this time, but hey! it's only a game.
May no-one get injured and all teams play with Corinthian zeal. (and you, Mr Cockerill)

Maz

Guru
web650Wallpaper_Image_rdax_499x315.jpg

I'll have to dig out and post a photo of me on the hallowed turf that is Welford Road.

If Scotland get their independence, then presumably they'll happily deny the chance to take part in the Six Nations, and thus never win the wooden spoon again. Genius!

:laugh:

Are you going to write to Ireland France and Italy to notify them they have mysteriously become part of the UK? In your head at least.

But they were happy to take part as long as Scotland were there, too.

We'll still be there. Dinnae worry aboot that.

I was speaking to Jim Telfer and Chris Paterson today at The Greenyards; neither agreed to my suggestion that they came out of international retirement.

Telfer is coaching the Melrose under-18 team; imagine being an under-18 player and being coached by Telfer!

I've no doubt that Scotland will be a main player at all future 6 Nations.

Even the Lions will have at least 4-5 top Scottish players in their squad.

But like cricket in the West Indies, I hope rugby in Scotland will start to gain in popularity again.

I despair at the SRU.

I watch the pro games when they are on TV, but have no faith that the SRU know what they are doing in terms of getting the best out of Scottish players - they seem to be a bit like Dave Brailsford/British Cycling in that if you don't make the grade (set by themselves to some unknown formula) by a certain age or stage then you are binned. I see some really talented players in the Scottish Premiership, some of whom are development players for Edinburgh or Glasgow, but who never seem to get the chance.

When I look back at the Scotland teams of old (you do need to go back a bit of time to find great Scottish players!) I wonder how many of them would have made the grade in the current set-up. I'm thinking a lot of them would have been binned.

Batgirl

In Disguise!
I grew up supporting / going to games (footie) at a local club - Chelsea FC. I've been in Wales for a number of years and have enjoyed watching Scarlets. What floats my boat is live sport. Can't beat that or live music ;) I've competed as a powerlifter and think it's all about the passion that goes into a sport whether it's one on one or a team sport is what it's about.

Now my OH he would argue a ball should be round and nothing else.. but that's him.. he's a man u fan so he doesn't count. :headshake:

AndyRM

XOXO
I despair at the SRU.

I watch the pro games when they are on TV, but have no faith that the SRU know what they are doing in terms of getting the best out of Scottish players - they seem to be a bit like Dave Brailsford/British Cycling in that if you don't make the grade (set by themselves to some unknown formula) by a certain age or stage then you are binned. I see some really talented players in the Scottish Premiership, some of whom are development players for Edinburgh or Glasgow, but who never seem to get the chance.

When I look back at the Scotland teams of old (you do need to go back a bit of time to find great Scottish players!) I wonder how many of them would have made the grade in the current set-up. I'm thinking a lot of them would have been binned.

Fully agree about the SRU, but I think you're being a bit harsh on the quality of current Scottish players. Vaguely thinking about it, I reckon we've got 10 players who are genuine class. We'd have 11 if Thom Evans hadn't broken his neck.

That said, I'd happily trade any of them for a half fit Gavin Hastings at the end of his career.

brand

I stopped playing 3 years ago when I got septic arthritis in my knee. 54 is far to early to stop playing rugby specially as I wasn't getting any shittier. I was always crap so I couldn't get any worse. Devastated but still do tours, got to show the youngsters how to drink and talk crap at the same time!

Top Bottom