Rules, rules, rules and jobsworths

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
Why can't anyone be flexible and helpful these days.

I have been asked for a reference from my previous employer before I can start a evening course at Anglia Ruskin Uni. I asked why as it will take 10 days. The woman there said "because they ask everyone". She said you would ask for references if you started a job WTF - I am going to pay them.
I eventually got the manager and she said that the reference was to show that it was a suitable course for me. How will they know that, I haven't worked there for over a year. What if I had changed career direction. :evil: 
Don't they want my money ?

Further more I went to the Jobcentre to ask about my entitlement to something under the 50+ New Deal.  The only person who can help me with 50+ matters is the "50+ Advisor" and Hornchurch JC don't have one of those.  :wacko:

Krypton

I'm surprised you didn't get the "for health and safety reasons!" which seems to be trotted out for virtually everything these days!!

yello

Sadly, there are rules that exist for a rules sake. That sort of stuff just infuriates me. I just grit my teeth and jump through the hoops (and I've had to do A LOT of that when we first arrived here in France, there were so many forms and photocopies required for this that and the other to get ourselves legally established here).

I've seen what happens to these forms, letters and photocopies - they get put in a folder and filed. It's tick box stuff and little attention is actually paid to the form/letter/photocopy itself says. But that, of course, is the point; NOT what it says but the fact you can provide it.

If you are unable to provide a reference for whatever reason then I'd write to the university and explain that. You're giving them a reason to refuse you but that's the risk you take.

ChrisKH

Guru
You are lucky to get a reference tbh.

My current firm is inundated with them for past and future employees and so as a matter of policy gives out the bare essentials for everybody: Name, title and confirmation of employment dates and that's it.

Helpful & flexible a) costs and b) is potentially litigious.

I always give out full references to anyone who has worked for me if they are good. Not so good, then I err on the side of caution and give either minimum details or speak to people verablly. And I'm talking about people who lie, cheat and steal, not someone who came in late twice or came in hungover once.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Just type your own reference, they won't know the difference

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
That's the spirit! :smile:

My CV is such a work of art it is sometimes hard to remember eactly what exams I took and passed. Fortunately the last time I had to use it was 14 years ago and now with this interweb clicky thing things are just so much easier to check :angry:

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
You're paying to do a course and they want a previous employer reference, not come across that one before.

My, oh so suspicious, mind immediately looks to see what could be in it for the course providers. Would they be keeping a database of referee details for targetted marketing purposes? Are they trying to 'add value' to their courses by including some sort of job search assistance, so the more contacts the better?

I really don't know but it does seem strange at face value.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
My CV is such a work of art it is sometimes hard to remember eactly what exams I took and passed. Fortunately the last time I had to use it was 14 years ago and now with this interweb clicky thing things are just so much easier to check :angry:

When I was looking for work I had 6 versions of my CV, tailored to different roles, didn't always remember which version had been used at which point :wub:

davefb

Guru
You're paying to do a course and they want a previous employer reference, not come across that one before.

My, oh so suspicious, mind immediately looks to see what could be in it for the course providers. Would they be keeping a database of referee details for targetted marketing purposes? Are they trying to 'add value' to their courses by including some sort of job search assistance, so the more contacts the better?

I really don't know but it does seem strange at face value.

+1 , whats that about?

'suitable course for you' , what would a reference help with that ?

'john is great at stacking shelves' , 'harry cleans the loos with aplomb'

ahh, so that course on fine art is just the one for you!

i think you're right, its for evil-data-mining of some sort!

Lizban

+1 , whats that about?

'suitable course for you' , what would a reference help with that ?

'john is great at stacking shelves' , 'harry cleans the loos with aplomb'

ahh, so that course on fine art is just the one for you!

i think you're right, its for evil-data-mining of some sort!

There's a huge cross over, application to work, time keeping attendance etc etc.

My what a cynical lot we all are.

The OP should be happy his course has standards - if they didn't his qualification would be meaningless.

When I was looking for work I had 6 versions of my CV, tailored to different roles, didn't always remember which version had been used at which point :wub:

I am looking for work and I have 2

One is called "CV" and gives my mobile number, the other is called "Resume" and gives my cell number.

Top Bottom