Rules, rules, rules and jobsworths

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

taxing

You are lucky to get a reference tbh.

My current firm is inundated with them for past and future employees and so as a matter of policy gives out the bare essentials for everybody: Name, title and confirmation of employment dates and that's it.

Helpful & flexible a) costs and b) is potentially litigious.

I always give out full references to anyone who has worked for me if they are good. Not so good, then I err on the side of caution and give either minimum details or speak to people verablly. And I'm talking about people who lie, cheat and steal, not someone who came in late twice or came in hungover once.

A company I used to work for had that policy and it really annoyed me, because if my employer is only willing to give the bare bones then it makes me sound bad. I worked for them for two and a half years and was a good employee, the least they could do is give me a reference, even if they put a time limit on it, i.e. up to six months after leaving the company you get a proper reference, after that it's bare bones. Surely it wouldn't be that hard to draw up a few template letters, then just pick whichever one matched the person.

OP
OP
mr_cellophane

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
You are lucky to get a reference tbh.

My current firm is inundated with them for past and future employees and so as a matter of policy gives out the bare essentials for everybody: Name, title and confirmation of employment dates and that's it.

Helpful & flexible a) costs and b) is potentially litigious.

I always give out full references to anyone who has worked for me if they are good. Not so good, then I err on the side of caution and give either minimum details or speak to people verablly. And I'm talking about people who lie, cheat and steal, not someone who came in late twice or came in hungover once.
That is all they will get for me.  It was all set out in my redundancy agreement.

Just type your own reference, they won't know the difference

Got any RBS headed paper ?

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
That is all they will get for me. It was all set out in my redundancy agreement.

Got any RBS headed paper ?

I assume you will have some form of paperwork with their address on
15 mins, 1 bottle of tippex, pair of scissors and a photo copier :thumbsup:

Shaun

Founder
I assume you will have some form of paperwork with their address on
15 mins, 1 bottle of tippex, pair of scissors and a photo copier :thumbsup:

Or use the modern forger's equivalent - Google Images, Photoshop, and a colour laser printer ... :smile:

Cheers,
Shaun :biggrin:

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Taking an educated punt here, but there might be an element of checking that you are who you say you are, rather than anything specifically to do with your course, qualifications or experience. There's plenty of fraud attempted around student visas in particular.

Maz

Guru
I wouldnt worry too much about the reference. I reckon they'll let you on the course on the proviso that a suitable reference is given later. Then they'll either misplace it or never receive it and it'll all be forgotten about in the beaurocracy.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
A company I used to work for had that policy and it really annoyed me, because if my employer is only willing to give the bare bones then it makes me sound bad.
Indeed, that's generally how you give a terrible reference without being sued.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Yes, give over 3BM. Mac's got enough to do, what with his prime Big Issue pitch in Basingstoke.

What is this, some sort of weird tag team?, I thought you two wore lycra for cycling, now that I know it's for 'man wrestling' purposes I understand some things better!!!!

Top Bottom