Rumbling from hub.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ride2017

Theres a sort of rumbling/vibration sound coming from I think the hub of my rear wheel. Somebody I dont trust said it’s probably a worn bearing.... does that sound plausible?

If so what would a reasonable cost to have it replaced be? excluding the part. Would it be dangerous to keep using it for say 10 days.
Thanks.

Rocky

Hello decadence
I think we might need a little more details - what sort of hub is it? How old and how many miles has it done?

If it were me, I'd take the wheel into my local bike shop and get a mechanic to look at it. It might need the bearings greased. It might need new bearings or it might need a new hub. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

I do hope you get it resolved.

gbb

Legendary Member
Which wheels would help but there are basically two types to consider, assuming it is the hub bearings, which is more likely than other options. Hubs have either cup and cone bearings, collection of balls, a cup and a cone..... or 'cartridge' bearings, a one piece part in essence.
Personally I'd take the wheel out, hold it in the air by holding the axle between your thumb and forefinger then spin the wheel. You can often feel any grumbling from the bearings. Or close to Yellow Saddles thoughts, lift the bike, spin the wheel and place your ear against the saddle while its spinning, any grumbling may be transmitted through the frame and youd hear it.
If it is grumbling, identifying the type is next.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Is the noise coming from the wheel bearings or from the freehub? Allowing the freehub to spin with the wheel will eliminate it.

Sharky

Guru
Is the noise coming from the wheel bearings or from the freehub? Allowing the freehub to spin with the wheel will eliminate it.
I've had a mavic askium which made a growling sort of noise, which indeed come from the freehub. Took it apart and a little oil resolved it.

OP
OP
Ride2017

Ride2017

I think we might need a little more details - what sort of hub is it? How old and how many miles has it done?.
Wow, thanks for all the replies people....

I got the the bike in 2014 brand new and it’s since done around 10k miles. The wheels are American Classic Hurricane disc.

At first I thought it was a slightly off center wheel rubbing against disc pads but that’s definitely not the case. When I spin the wheel there’s a grumbling sound and a slight vibration I can feel while holding the seat post while the wheel is off the ground. Every so often there seems to be a click sound but it’s not rhythmic.

Have had issues in the past with bike shops wanting to replace parts ie a 4 month old chain which they claimed was ‘worn out’..... and that’s not the worse experience. Just want get some idea of what’s what.

Rocky

Hello decadence
There’s some good advice from CC members here. Isolate the noise - perhaps take the wheel out and spin it in your hands. See if it’s the hub. Obviously you’ll get your fingers dirty. Try a little chain oil on both sides...it should seep into the bearings. If it’s the hub, just take the wheel to the shop. If they try and sell you another wheel try another shop.

gbb

Legendary Member
Looking at American Classics website, I can find PDFs regarding hurricane hubs and they do appear to be 'cartridge' bearings with some final adjustment made with 2x 19mm cone spanners, assumedly to make that final preload. The PDFs cover it all, disassembly, adjustment, bearing designation etc etc.

Top Bottom