Rumours and transfers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Pro Tour Punditry
One might think it's a bit dickish to turn news like this into an attack on someone's character before they've even had a chance to prove themselves one way or another at the top level. Let's give him a chance, eh?
I have previously mentioned that he's supposed to be a bit of a dick - the increased exposure to the media at Sky will let us find out if this reputation is well earned or not.

U

User169

I have previously mentioned that he's supposed to be a bit of a dick - the increased exposure to the media at Sky will let us find out if this reputation is well earned or not.

Have you read his blog? Well worth a read - he's a very good writer.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Pip Gilbert to Ettix - have we mentioned that one?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Lampre no more? "New project" with TJ Sport and Saronni announced.
So Tinkoff and IAM are ending and presumably handing licences back, plus there was agreement to drop from 18 to 17 teams next season. If Lampre keep hold of their licence, does that mean One Pro, Bora and Bahrain are all competing for one vacant licence? Is it an auction or purely a commissioners' decision? If it's at all subjective, UCI's lawyers better be on danger money :laugh:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Are One Pro seriously in the running? I know they have ambitions in that direction but didn't think they were ready to step up yet.
Good question. http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/one...o-become-next-british-worldtour-team-in-2017/ from Feb says "2017 or 2018" which is a weakening of things I'd read before, but with the plans to reduce the number of teams to 16, if only QuickStep ends as rumoured, then One Pro could just end up in a 2018 face-off for that spot with whoever doesn't get the IAM/Tinkoff unused licence - and I suspect One Pro could be the loser both years because the team hasn't been around as long as Ralph Denk pro cycling (Bora-whatever) and probably has less money to spend on lawyers than Bahrain.

lyn1

Über Member
So Tinkoff and IAM are ending and presumably handing licences back, plus there was agreement to drop from 18 to 17 teams next season. If Lampre keep hold of their licence, does that mean One Pro, Bora and Bahrain are all competing for one vacant licence? Is it an auction or purely a commissioners' decision? If it's at all subjective, UCI's lawyers better be on danger money :laugh:

Given they signed virtually all their riders from the 3rd Division I feel ONE have made a good start. It's a big step up. They have some decent results, albeit predominantly in races with few or no World Tour or top Pro Conti teams. Nevertheless, they remain at the weaker end of the Pro Conti continuum. To go World Tour in 2017 they would need an almost totally new squad, including some world class riders. I doubt news of the movement of 20+ riders to the same team would not have crept out, so I do not see it happening.

As to the reduction to 17 World Tour teams for 2017 it depends whether the UCI introduced this as a genuine strategic move for the future or to save embarrassment when they heard they may be short of teams. If the latter, they could just run with 18 teams. If they insist on 17 teams and stick with the muted relegation system, then Dimension Data will need to justify their place against Bora and Bahrain, as they are bottom of the ranking and by some distance. Their problem is they are relying on 4 guys Cav., EBH, Cummings and Siutsou to pick up the vast majority of their WT wins/points. They need to sign more points scorers or guys who can offer more support to those who can score points. I see some significant changes at DD with new signings and a number of current riders not being retained, because even if they escape in 2017 they will face the same issue in 2018.

Last edited:
Top Bottom