Run a mile in May

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sandra6

Veteran
There's a charity thing that keeps popping up on my facebook feed, the challenge is to run a marathon in may - not all in one go, 26.6 miles over the month. A mile a day with a few days off.
I'm not big on fund raising, but I thought I'd give the challenge side a go.
I have tried running a few times and I don't get on with it that well, I've yet to run further than a mile in one go.
I've been out twice now - did the run a lamppost, walk a lamppost thing - and covered somewhere between 1.6 and 2 miles each time. Took me half an hour though which is a bit poor show as I can generally walk a mile in 15 minutes when I feel like it.
Anyway, rest day today - my legs hurt like hell, and my waist too. Shows how unfit I was to start.
Anybody else doing a similar challenge or has any advice?

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Couch to 5k worked well for me - I'd cycled, but not run in about 20 years when I started my first programme.

I used this app when I actually got to 5km;
http://www.c25kfree.com/

And was very disciplined about always doing the warm ups and cool downs (I'd gone too far, or too hard on previous attempts, and always given up).

I use Samsung's S Health app to time/pace runs now, doing 5kms on Monday and Wednesday, and then a long run (for me) of about 11km on Saturdays (the distance is variable, because the app dictates a range of paces for this one over the course of an hour).

So I'd say - use a programme, don't go too far or too fast at first, and be disciplined (so have running days (for me, Monday, Wednesday, Saturday) - ie whatever else you do, you always run on those days, so that it becomes a habit).

Panter

Just call me Chris...
I started "running" a few months ago using the couch to 5K program.
I got an app on my phone which made it very easy (lots of free ones out there)

Now, I am the Worlds unlikeliest runner, I just can't do it, I'm not built for it.
However, I finished the program middle of March and have run 3 X 5K a week ever since!
I'm still slow, and always will be, my best time was just over 40 minutes but I'm usually at nearer 45 minute pace.
But, long story short, it works!

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Last year an old military friend set me a challenge of 22 push ups, every day for 22 days. I have a shoulder injury and replaced the push ups with 1km of cycling for every push up. Thats 484km of cycling. It took me 9 days of commuting. Its surprising how fit you get by whacking the miles in day after day and not taking days off.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I have always hated running and only really did it when pressured. I got entered into a 5k team race involving beer and a little bit of competition. I wisely decided to delay my training until 2 days before the event. I went out quite hard and thought this was really easy. After a couple of k I had pains in my shins and calves, by 4k I was in agony. 5 k could not come soon enough. The next day and the day of the race was horrific - I could barely move, my body was nice and fit for cycling, but really not ready to go from zero to 5k without a build up. Anyway, the race was unsurprisingly painful and a learnt my lesson - just because you are bike fit - don't just assume you jump in at the deep end.

Now I generally do at least one run a week, sometimes up to 4 if I am away with work and don't have access to a bike - but I don't really enjoy it.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I have just had to have three weeks off running on "Dockers orders". I started running again with a gentle 5km on Sunday.

I am now appallingly slow, had the worst DOMS ever on Sunday, and my HR was ridiculously high given the lack of speed. I'm now pretty good for a man in his 70's which would be great if I wasn't in my mid-50's.

I tip my hat to any person of mature years, like the OP, who gets off the couch and learns to run.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
It's not necessarily a not lack of fitness, it is a different skill and set of muscles to cycling so will take the body time to get used to just like any new skill.

I'm a triathlete but that doesn't mean I don't get running problems even when my swim and bike are progressing.
Running is an impact activity, cycling ain't. When you run lots more nerve ending and connective tissues to get jangled than when riding, innit?

Tin Pot

Guru
There's a charity thing that keeps popping up on my facebook feed, the challenge is to run a marathon in may - not all in one go, 26.6 miles over the month. A mile a day with a few days off.
I'm not big on fund raising, but I thought I'd give the challenge side a go.
I have tried running a few times and I don't get on with it that well, I've yet to run further than a mile in one go.
I've been out twice now - did the run a lamppost, walk a lamppost thing - and covered somewhere between 1.6 and 2 miles each time. Took me half an hour though which is a bit poor show as I can generally walk a mile in 15 minutes when I feel like it.
Anyway, rest day today - my legs hurt like hell, and my waist too. Shows how unfit I was to start.
Anybody else doing a similar challenge or has any advice?

Little and often is a great rule to live by, and works for running so I like the challenge you've taken.

By the end of the month you'll be breezing it.

My challenge is to run four times a week.

thecube

Running is something that you need to build up for, so start gentle and build up the miles over time. If anything is going to put people off running it's too much too soon and the probable resultant injuries. It is good to mix it up with cross training, so do both cycling and running for better overall fitness and strength. I don't get the kudos attached to marathons, it encourages people to take on a challenge that is too much and is more likely to put people off running for life. Talking of which, has anyone applied for the London marathon ballot this week?

OP
OP
Sandra6

Sandra6

Veteran
I have just had to have three weeks off running on "Dockers orders". I started running again with a gentle 5km on Sunday.

I am now appallingly slow, had the worst DOMS ever on Sunday, and my HR was ridiculously high given the lack of speed. I'm now pretty good for a man in his 70's which would be great if I wasn't in my mid-50's.

I tip my hat to any person of mature years, like the OP, who gets off the couch and learns to run.

I'm only 43 thank you very much!:ninja:

Running is something that you need to build up for, so start gentle and build up the miles over time. If anything is going to put people off running it's too much too soon and the probable resultant injuries. It is good to mix it up with cross training, so do both cycling and running for better overall fitness and strength. I don't get the kudos attached to marathons, it encourages people to take on a challenge that is too much and is more likely to put people off running for life. Talking of which, has anyone applied for the London marathon ballot this week?
The challenge isn't to run an actual marathon - oh my days, no thank you!!! - just the distance, over the entire month.
I've tried a couple of couch to 5k's before and never got past the mile. My favourite is the zombie run. NOthing like the "grrr grrr" of a zombie in your ear to spur you on.
I had my third run today and was 2 minutes faster. I'm taking it very slowly, the goal is just to run the entire distance by the end of the month.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I was a runner before I took up cycling and there's no doubt that running is harder of the two. But, when you get it right, it's really enjoyable.

You develop a rhythm that's natural to you; where the legs, the arms and breathing work in perfect harmony and running feels effortless. Trouble is, it takes many months to get the fitness and form into this state.

I'm currently trying to get back into running after a 4 year break and it's painful.

Top Bottom