Runbox email - anyone used it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I'm about to move house (in just over a week), and I'm pretty fed up with the constant changing of internet providers, so I've decided to shake things up, and setup a completely different internet connection. I'll be ordering a portable wireless modem that I'll be able to use at home, and even on my occasional trips to the French Alps and other fun cycling places. As part of this, I want to keep the same email address, regardless of where I happen to be living, so I've decided to sign up with one of the web-based email providers. The one I chose was Runbox (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Runbox)

Have any of you used Runbox, and if so, how did you find it? It seems to have good reviews. For the technically-minded, it supports POP3, SMTP and IMAP, so I can access my emails from my phone or from an email client on a PC.
:addict:

Regards & thanks,

--- Victor.

D

Deleted member 26715

I setup an email with Plusnet way back when they got rebranded from Force9 & never use anything else, although I use Gmail client to access them, they allow me to have as many email addresses as I want, so each forum, supplier, etc. I use a different email for each, halfords@, cc@, evans@ etc.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Is Runbox essentially an email forwarding service?

Your emails might have some confusing stamps on them from a recipient's point of view.

The company looks well set up, almost semi-official in Norway, but I would be concerned they might close for some reason, leaving your email address isolated.

That could happen with Microsoft or Google, but webmail direct from them is one less link in the chain.

OP
OP
Shut Up Legs

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Is Runbox essentially an email forwarding service?

Your emails might have some confusing stamps on them from a recipient's point of view.

The company looks well set up, almost semi-official in Norway, but I would be concerned they might close for some reason, leaving your email address isolated.

That could happen with Microsoft or Google, but webmail direct from them is one less link in the chain.
No, it's not email forwarding, they have an email server just like an internet service provider's server. They've also been running for 20 years, and going strong.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
No, it's not email forwarding, they have an email server just like an internet service provider's server. They've also been running for 20 years, and going strong.

Fair enough, no point in me pretending I fully understand it.

I use hotmail and sometimes wonder what would happen if Microsoft pulled the plug for some reason.

OP
OP
Shut Up Legs

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Fair enough, no point in me pretending I fully understand it.

I use hotmail and sometimes wonder what would happen if Microsoft pulled the plug for some reason.
By the way, another reason I'm considering Runbox is that it's a paid service (not a huge fee, though), and has absolutely no advertising. As the Wikipedia article indicates, they also take their customer's privacy pretty seriously. That alone makes it more attractive than Gmail, Hotmail, etc.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
By the way, another reason I'm considering Runbox is that it's a paid service (not a huge fee, though), and has absolutely no advertising. As the Wikipedia article indicates, they also take their customer's privacy pretty seriously. That alone makes it more attractive than Gmail, Hotmail, etc.

If you are keeping your current address, isn't that still the weakest link in the chain from a privacy point of view?

In other words, if I took my hotmail address to Runbox, I would still be subject to hotmail's privacy rules, or lack of them.

OP
OP
Shut Up Legs

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
If you are keeping your current address, isn't that still the weakest link in the chain from a privacy point of view?

In other words, if I took my hotmail address to Runbox, I would still be subject to hotmail's privacy rules, or lack of them.
As far as I can tell, it doesn't work that way. The Runbox email address would be a new one, i.e. my new email would be something like me < at > runbox.com.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Ah, when you said:

As part of this, I want to keep the same email address,

I thought you meant you wanted to keep the email address you are using at present.

It does look as if 'you@runbox.com' would do what you seek in that you could access it from anywhere with an internet connection.

Hotmail offer an ad-free subscription service, not that I'm particularly recommending it.

Hotmail has always been a bit clonky, the latest little wrinkle being that emails show as unread for some time after you've opened and closed them.

OP
OP
Shut Up Legs

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Ah, when you said:

I thought you meant you wanted to keep the email address you are using at present.

It does look as if 'you@runbox.com' would do what you seek in that you could access it from anywhere with an internet connection.

Hotmail offer an ad-free subscription service, not that I'm particularly recommending it.

Hotmail has always been a bit clonky, the latest little wrinkle being that emails show as unread for some time after you've opened and closed them.
That's correct, I'd be changing my email address, because I can't use the current one, as it's tied to my specific ISP, and so won't be valid once I switch from my current fixed internet to mobile wireless internet.

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
Why don’t you register your own domain and route your mail via whichever provider suits at the time?

Chris S

Legendary Member
I've been using Gmail since it was Googlemail. You get (almost) unlimited storage and you can change ISP as often as you like.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Would using a less common domain/email client cause issues with mail ending up in your intended recipients Spam folder?

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Proton mail is an encrypted email. No adverts, and being encrypted from end to end it would be difficult to hack. They dont keep any info on the user either. It is free, but you can pay as well.

It's an excellent email account.

I don't have any knowledge of the one you mentioned

si_c

Guru
I was concerned about 15 years ago about my reliance on a webmail account for everything, consequently I purchased my own domain (£10 for 2 years) and pay for email hosting on that domain (£3 monthly, billed quarterly) meaning my email address is mine and will be so in perpetuity.

Personalisation is also a benefit for example you could have legs@shutup.com or whatever.

Top Bottom