runners in the segregated lanes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Good to see that the segregated lanes in London are being adopted by more than just riders, there seem to be stacks of runners making good use too.

I don't like the idea of the lanes and I hate to admit that they are not too bad, if clumsy in some places and restrictive in most.

But I still feel that they are not the long term answer and cater for such a small percentage of road users, so its good to see other users adopting them too.

Now, we just need a few ramps and we can get the skate boards on board...so to speak

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
This was a widely-predicted problem with the London design. There are two main ways to avoid it being a problem: with-flow lanes with easier entry/exit for both runners and cyclists (ramped "Cambridge" kerbs, posts or whatever); or more width than needed for cycling. London did neither and changing it might be expensive. :sad:

But I still feel that they are not the long term answer and cater for such a small percentage of road users, so its good to see other users adopting them too.

This year London overtook Amsterdam for daily bicycle trips, 750k in London, 650k in 'dam. Cycling is up on the CSHs by 17%. 70% of Blackfriars Bridge traffic is now cyclists. People on bikes will, at this rate, outnumber people in motor vehicles in three years. You are misinformed.

Lonestar

Veteran
I've stopped using Victoria Embankment during my mid-day commutes as I find the runners too hazardous/unpredictable.

J1888

Über Member
There's also people on those stupid push scooters using them, as well as someone in an electric mobility wheelchair.

Oh, and vehicles turning left seem to love pulling across them and stopping because their light turns red, with little regard for the fact that cyclists who are continuing their journey, through a green light, then realise that there's no safe way around the obstruction and are then caught in no man's land.

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
This year London overtook Amsterdam for daily bicycle trips, 750k in London, 650k in 'dam. Cycling is up on the CSHs by 17%. 70% of Blackfriars Bridge traffic is now cyclists. People on bikes will, at this rate, outnumber people in motor vehicles in three years. You are misinformed.
I am, that's awesome and good to learn.

Thanks

vickster

Legendary Member
Greater Amsterdam population about 1.4m, greater London around 8.5m, some catching up to do per capita, but good to see cycling increasing of course

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
This was a widely-predicted problem with the London design. There are two main ways to avoid it being a problem: with-flow lanes with easier entry/exit for both runners and cyclists (ramped "Cambridge" kerbs, posts or whatever); or more width than needed for cycling. London did neither and changing it might be expensive. :sad:
Or just don't regard it as a problem

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I can think of at least one more.
Make the whole of the Embankment bikes only?

I've ridden and walked along the Embankment several times recently, at various times of the day, and have never seen a runner on the bike path. I saw my first pedestrian-cyclist conflict this evening, when a mildly dozy tourist forgot that we ride on the left, and an over-enthusiastic rider was going too fast for the conditions. Fortunately no harm was done to either.

In the meantime, motorised traffic levels are beginning to moderate as drivers slowly work out what "you have given up space to vulnerable road users" actually means.

Top Bottom