runners in the segregated lanes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Greater Amsterdam population about 1.4m, greater London around 8.5m, some catching up to do per capita, but good to see cycling increasing of course

Which means..unless my maths is out, to match 'dam London would need about five times as many cyclists. Yikes.

CS7 this morning:

Cqic2e8WEAA3AL3.jpg

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Here the segregated paths are a free for all: joggers, skaters, dog walkers.
My slow cycling skills have improved lots lately with the better weather ^_^

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Greater Amsterdam population about 1.4m, greater London around 8.5m, some catching up to do per capita, but good to see cycling increasing of course
Population of central Amsterdam - 800,000. Population of central London - less than 500,000*, and most of London's cycling happens in and around the centre.

But that's not a meaningful comparison because both cities are major commuting destinations, and London has got a fully developed rail and light rail network while Amsterdam's is much smaller.

*Depending on how you define "central". Westminster is about a quarter of a million, the City is a few thousand, Kensington and Chelsea 150,000 or so.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I'm not sure what your point is? But it is early
Measuring bike journeys per capita isn't desperately meaningful. If you measured bike journeys in central London per capita you'd get a very favourable answer compared with central Amsterdam or outer London.

On the other hand, one of the reasons Amsterdam has so many bike journeys is that it doesn't seem to have the very well-developed medium-distance public transport network that London has.

But it is early, and I'm not really trying to make a big point, just throw some ideas into the ether to see if they stick.

However you numerate folks like to cut the cake, the bottom line is that cycle-commuting in Londinium is in rude health :-)
I do it so it must be awesome.

I just found the photo on twitter, so thanks whoever. When I used to ride down Hackney Road at 7am I'd see about a dozen other riders I think. Overtake, I mean. Now it's 5000 an hour at rush hour.

Drago

Legendary Member
Which means..unless my maths is out, to match 'dam London would need about five times as many cyclists. Yikes.

CS7 this morning:

Cqic2e8WEAA3AL3.jpg
All so safety conscious, yet none in mitts to protect the nerves and tendons in the hands, which aren't protected by a bony skull and which are far more likely to get damaged.

Top Bottom