Running MTB tubs on Spin Carbon Wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

aserota

Über Member
Hi,

Is it possible to run MTB Tubs on the wheels below (use clinchers atm)?
photo12.jpg

IMG_3389.jpg

I would like to run tubs with stans no tubs, as i seem to get regular punctures

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
I should think so, they haven't got any spoke holes to worry about :sad:

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
I almost corrected you earlier, but i knew you meant tubeless, when you said you were gonna use stans.

Tubs is short for tubulars :biggrin:

brodie

A "tub" is a tubular tyre, they're usually the same size as 700c tyres but only fit on to tubular rims (AKA sprints). AFAIK, there are no MTB 26in tubs.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
its alright aserota, i know what you mean :biggrin:

OP
OP
A

aserota

Über Member
Fair play, as im used to road cycling and have used tubs i though it would be the same across the board.

So a tubeless MTB tyre fits as a normal tyre would (i.e. isnt glues to the rim?)

RedBike

I took tub to mean tubular. Which is a different system completely.

Tubulars have a tube sewn into the tyre itself and then the tyre is glued onto the rim. If you have a punture the tubes not exactly easy to get at. Even sticking a new tyre onto the rim has it's problems.

Tubeless tyres will fit onto standard clincher rims. Although a dedicated tubeless rim does seem to hook the tyre better.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
"tubs" are tubular tyres. These are a full circle in cross section, and are glued to a rim that has no flanges. A tub has a tube sewn into the inside of the casing. You have to unpick the stitching along the underside where it is stuck to the rim in order to get at it.
I must say I wasn't aware that there were any MTB sized tubs.

A tubeless tyre has no inner tube, and has a bead shaped so that it forms an airtight seal against the rim. You also need a rim with no spoke holes in the rim bed, and preferably with flanges that match the tyre bead.
It sounds like this is what you mean.
See here for more info

RedBike

Tubeless tyres are just like normal tyres except the side walls are a bit thicker to cope with the extra stresses (and obviously they're air tight.)

OP
OP
A

aserota

Über Member
Ok, thanks for all the info its very helpful indeed!

I'll have a look on wiggle and evans (as i have some vouchers to spend) and report back!

RedBike

It can be very hard to inflate a tubeless tyre for the first time. Until you've got sufficent pressure to cause the tyre to seat correctly on the rim it isn't air tight. So when you first start pumping the tyre up air will be rapidly leaking back out.

Obviously you have to pump air in at a quicker rate than which it leaks out. You might be able to achieve this with a track pump but some tyre rim combinations are best done with a CO2 canister.

Top Bottom