Running on empty

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yorkshiregoth

Master of all he surveys
Did just under 75 miles today and I am completely cream crackered. I have done plenty of 100+ rides before so I should be used to the distance. During the last 5 miles or so I started getting really bad pins and needles in my extremities. I drank about 1.5 litres of energy drinks during the ride and a decaf skinny latte and cliff bar during my rest stop at the cycle show.

Hopefully all us well tomorrow for another ride ;)

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
I have noticed that with the onset of winter, my riding starts to feel much harder for the same effort. I did one of my regular circuits today which I do a couple of times per week. I completed it at the same average speed or thereabouts, but boy, it was hard on my knees and I too felt completely clapped out when I got back.

Is there a pattern arising here. Anyone else feel the same?

jimboalee

At the tail end of the season ( about now ) the novice cyclist ( not necessarily anyone on this thread, this is an observation over many years ) will be suffering with "Familiarity breeds contempt" and will go for a ride thinking "I don't need anything to eat, I'm fit, I've been riding all summer".

Trouble is, the air temperature has dropped and he will probably be still wearing shorts and a shortsleeve because the sun is shining.

It is remarkable how much energy is wasted just keeping your hands, arms, neck, face and lower legs warm.
'Fuel sapping', I call it.

The rider can either
1/ Wear warmer clothes, or
2/ Eat more and drink warm beverages.

yenrod

jimboalee said:
At the tail end of the season ( about now ) the novice cyclist ( not necessarily anyone on this thread, this is an observation over many years ) will be suffering with "Familiarity breeds contempt" and will go for a ride thinking "I don't need anything to eat, I'm fit, I've been riding all summer".

Trouble is, the air temperature has dropped and he will probably be still wearing shorts and a shortsleeve because the sun is shining.

It is remarkable how much energy is wasted just keeping your hands, arms, neck, face and lower legs warm.
'Fuel sapping', I call it.

The rider can either

;)

ASC1951

Guru
jimboalee said:
still wearing shorts and a shortsleeve because the sun is shining.

The rider can either
3. Get back cold, hungry and much surprised by being in the dark 5 miles from home. :biggrin:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You drank about half what you need to do. 75-100 miles for me would be 4 x 750ml bottles of energy drink, plus food......on the go at regular intervals,,,

Cold weather makes the situation worse, believe you me, as your body is using energy to process the COLD air coming in, so you really need to drink as much as on a hot day.

Hont

Guru
Yeah I've noticed this too. I don't feel like I need to drink as much and ironically the windproof jacket means that I sweat more, so probably lose more fluids.

It's also not good when your water gets colder on the way around.

postman

Legendary Member
Last three rides felt 'flat'.

So it's not just me.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
What you eat the evening before can make a lot of difference. As for energy drinks - why, unless you're racing?

bilko

10 more miles until coffee
The colder temperatures have a double effect on rides, the first being that the air is denser therefore harder to move thro, the second being that the muscles are colder so need more energy to get warm.

jimboalee

bilko said:
The colder temperatures have a double effect on rides, the first being that the air is denser therefore harder to move thro, the second being that the muscles are colder so need more energy to get warm.

Air density makes next-to-no difference. Even I don't bother making corrections for it. I use 1.2 kg/m^3.
Atmospheric pressure makes bugger all difference as well. I use 760 mmHg.

Muscle mass will warm up at about the same rate whatever the air temperature. They start at 37 deg C and don't cool below this.
It is the flow of blood to the subcutaneous layer for insulation that saps the energy. The blood close to the skin is being cooled by 'windchill' and gets it's heat back while passing through the major veins back to the heart. The energy to warm the blood comes from the mass of internal organs and intestines.

The 'colder temperatures' lately are 10 -15 degrees C lower than summer temperatures. Not very much:wacko:

In the BIG PICTURE, thats only about 5% lower. Your body should be able to cope with this without reducing it's muscular power capability.

Top Bottom