Running Shimano XT Groupset from Drop STIs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

aserota

Über Member
Hi all,

Following on from a previous thread of mine regarding converting an XT MTB to tourer, can someone confirm the exact components i will need to run Shimano XT gears, but with STI Shifters (Tiagra).

I currently have the full XT Groupset; so which parts (e.g. front derailer/sti shifters) will i need to make shifting possible from Tiagra STI shifters?

Thanks

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
It will all work fine as long as it is the same amount of gears

its the brakes that you will have problems with

OP
OP
A

aserota

Über Member
Ok, didnt think about the brakes.

So ill look for some drops with the same no. of gears (i.e. 8, so lower model ones). Ill play around with the brakes once the gears are setup and report back!

Radius

SHREDDER
You wont have enough pull...there is a tension converter I believe, not sure where you can find it...

andrew_s

Legendary Member
You'll have to change the XT front mech for a road triple model (cable pull differs).

Rear shifting will be fine so long as you get 9-speed Tiagra STI. If you get 10-speed shifters you'll obviously need a 10-speed cassette to match (and be restricted to 27T max unless you pay £80-90 for the Mars 11-34 10-speed).
Another option would be to get Campag Ergo levers which can be made to work fine with Shimano 9-speed.

V-brakes require too much cable pull for road levers (i.e. Tiagra STI). The problem is keeping the blocks adjusted close enough to the rim that the levers don't hit the bars before you are stopping properly.
You can get little pulley adaptors (Travel Agents), but they don't work all that well. You are probably best off changing the brakes for Tektro 720 cantilevers.

RedBike

8speed?
XT hasn't been 8 speed for years.
Didn't you only just buy this groupset / bike.

There arn't any 'new' Shimano 8 speed road levers. Even Sora is now 9 speed. Although it shouldn't be too hard to find a new set of 8speed Sora shifters in stock somewhere.

You could always go 9 speed and then just fit a new cassette / chain.

I'm not overly sure that a road front mech is going to work correctly with a MTB chainset (They might do); and a MTB front mech wont work correctly with road STI levers.
There's obviously a way around this as MTB chainsets are very common on touring bikes. But it's worth double checking exactly what levers / mechs are used on the likes of the Dawes Galaxy before you go splashing out on shifters.

jpembroke

Brakes will be an issue. You could see if you could fit some centre pull cantis (e.g Tektro Oryx or Avid Shorty) all though you'll need a cable hanger front and rear (front one can be mounted on the steerer if you have space, and rear can be fitted on to seatclamp bolt. The alternative is to use Dia Compe 287V levers that pull enough cable for a v-brake and then use bar end shifters for the gears. However, as you've already bought some STis I'm guessing the latter is not an option.

You could try v-brakes with travel agents as someone mentioned above but personally I'd prefer the canti option if you can fit them.

PpPete

Legendary Member
RedBike said:
8speed?
on touring bikes. But it's worth double checking exactly what levers / mechs are used on the likes of the Dawes Galaxy before you go splashing out on shifters.

Galaxy had bar end shifters last time I looked at the spec.

gwhite

Über Member
As road triple FD are usually 52/53 big ring the gear shifting may suffer as MTB large rings are usually around 48 or less so the curve of the outer plate will be off a little. I got around this problem by using an old-style XT FD and routing the cable to the other side of the cable clamp giving a longer leverage and therefore more pull.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
I know all the Shimano Manual readers out there will state is does not work, but i'm running some 105 sti shifters with an XT rear and XTR front mech on my cross bike. I know it can't possibly work as i read it in a manual, but you know what? It works!!!

As for brakes, the easiest solution is to fit some Cantis instead of the V-brakes. You could always use mini V's but you may find they give little tyre clearance

i've been using travel agent adaptors for 18 months .they work well for me and a few other touring club members who want campag shiters on a shimano set up(shimergo) with v brakes.

Top Bottom