Running watches

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hicky

Guru
Hi, I’m thinking about getting a running watch…Ms has a garmin 55 her bro has the next one up(music version, that’s what he said)….she didn’t go for the music she said as reviews state the music can be intermittent.
Some lads in the reserves have the fenix 6.
I’m after one that will act as alarm, give me my pace per mile or Km. if the price is right, one that will give me a 10 fig grid….and reasonable battery life.
Can someone who’s more savvy than I please give me a steer before I buy the wrong one or shell out too much wonga…🫣

Last edited:
Love my Fenix 6. Way more functions than I need but I will keep it for years like I did it's predecessor.

DC Rainmaker is the website I go to for all reviews of running tech.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Hi, I’m thinking about getting a running watch…Ms has a garmin 55 her bro has the next one up(music version, that’s what he said)….she didn’t go for the music she said as reviews state the music can be intermittent.
Some lads in the reserves have the fenix 6.
I’m after one that will act as alarm, give me my pace per mile or Km. if the price is right, one that will give me a 10 fig grid….and reasonable battery life.
Can someone who’s more savvy than I please give me a steer before I buy the wrong one or shell out too much wonga…🫣

Garmin Instinct - tough, long lasting battery, huge number of data fields to enable customising. Powrful GPS - I have current grid position showing whenever I am using GPS - biking or hiking. I use OS/Harveys maps a lot and like to check exactly where I am a number of times on a route.

Stephenite

Membå
Most sports watches will give pace per mile/km (and much more stats) but I don’t know of any that will give a grid reference.

CXRAndy

Guru
I've got the 6x solar, far too many features but it does everything you need when you want it. Get the 7X solar, even better re GPS accuracy

I've the 6x solar but never had any issues with accuracy. I'd not pay more for the 7.

You can get your grid reference easily on a Fenix but you do need to change the location display beforehand. No good trying it out when you're lost !
Then assign a hot button to it so one long press and you have it.

Stephenite

Membå
I've the 6x solar but never had any issues with accuracy. I'd not pay more for the 7.

You can get your grid reference easily on a Fenix but you do need to change the location display beforehand. No good trying it out when you're lost !
Then assign a hot button to it so one long press and you have it.

I didnt know that - (I’ve just had a quick search) - and had 2 Fenix’s over the past 8 years!

Mind you, I live in Norway and the maps aren’t anywhere near as good as GB OS.

Legs

usually riding on Zwift...
All but the most basic Garmin watches support downloading apps and widgets from the Garmin ConnectIQ store. I used to have a free one for my Forerunner 230 which displayed the OS grid ref (only 8 fig though, from memory).

OP
OP
Hicky

Hicky

Guru
Nice!

Mine is a non-solar and it is a great watch - steep learning curve re setting it up.

Loads of online resources and the Garmin forum is very useful.

My Ms has the forerunner55 , much of it is similar so I’m slightly ahead of the curve(I think🫣)….I’ll have to get used to it still though but I’m almost there with the basics.
It had to be solar for me, I hope it’s all it’s cracked up to be.
I’m surprised how light it is!!!

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
My Ms has the forerunner55 , much of it is similar so I’m slightly ahead of the curve(I think🫣)….I’ll have to get used to it still though but I’m almost there with the basics.
It had to be solar for me, I hope it’s all it’s cracked up to be.
I’m surprised how light it is!!!

I fancied a Solar but the non-solar was on offer a couple of years back on a crazy Amazon one day deal - it was either £130 or £150, can't remember.

Battery lasts for ages so no problem for me and the cheap price means I will not fret if it gets bashed whilst scrambling in the mountains.

I'd be pretty miserable if I took a chunk out of a spirts watch that cost many hundreds of pounds. Not that the solar Instinct costs a fortune.

The Instincts are incredibly light as you say and are very comfortable to wear.

Top Bottom