Runny nose while exercising .

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Con

Über Member
Bit of a strange question but does anyone else get a runny nose while exercising. Both me and my wife seem to suffer from it when we either go for a ride or do hill walking. It's never really bothered us but in the current situation we're getting a bit paranoid of blowing our noses in public. ( both of us are practicing social distancing) We both suffer from hayfever in the summer but it happens all year round but only when we start breathing a bit heavy it doesn't happen when I'm just walking the dog. Even though it's a good way to keep people away from us we do get some strange looks.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Yes, ever since I began taking a number of drugs for a heart condition eight years ago. If I'm not exercising, I'm fine, but on the bike my nose runs a lot. Like you, I get a bit self conscious about it at the moment. BTW, I hardly ever get colds. It's very odd.

Reactions: Con

vickster

Legendary Member
Normal for everyone I know who cycles including myself.
If necessary, I blow my nose, chuck the tissue or put away safely until home and sanitise hands.
No snot rockets, disgusting at the best of times xx(

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Ive a bit of a runny nose but Ive had PND (post nasal drip) for years and years. Ive been tested for all sorts over the years and it seems like it comes down to a slightly deviated septum which can also be the cause of overly runny noses. The choices are limited, a correcting procedure is both painful, debilitating with no guarantees of success so i just live with it. It improves when i exercise probably because my nasal passages expand in order to get more air in.

Venod

Eh up
Yes always runs on the outside rides, it doesn't run on the turbo or if if it does I haven't noticed because of all the sweat, I know it happens to a lot of people.

Edit, It does run on the Turbo, I took special notice this morning.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 26715

Another sufferer here as well, I also cough quite a bit & bring a lot of phlegm up from my Bronchial tubes, which to be honest is one of the reasons for riding as it helps with my sinus issues caused by my gastro problems.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Always - I get both nasal runniness that I have to clear by snot-rocketing and a lot of saliva, meaning I tend to spit a lot. I am always self-conscious about this and will choose or find a time when these emissions will be least offensive. The nose is worse when it's cold but the saliva is always.

vickster

Legendary Member
Always - I get both nasal runniness that I have to clear by snot-rocketing and a lot of saliva, meaning I tend to spit a lot. I am always self-conscious about this and will choose or find a time when these emissions will be least offensive. The nose is worse when it's cold but the saliva is always.
Why can’t you use tissues? :scratch:

Top Bottom