Ruptured achilles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CXRAndy

Guru
I shattered my Calcaneus bone in a fall. 16 weeks off my feet, by week 20 I was riding a turbo at home, by week 30 I did my first outdoor 10 mile TT. Its taken 2 years to get back to same fitness that I had before. I can cycle 100 miles and walk ok for 2-3 miles. Unable to stand for 10-20mins without suffering the next day and unable to run any more.

But I can cycle, and the more I do the better it feels ^_^

Take your time and build it back up, do your physio, no matter how much it hurts

Why do people persist in trying to run when God gave us the brains to invent and ride bicycles?

Love it ^_^

Apart from when playing rugger (which I loved and played until I was 40), I never really liked running and now I am getting back into cycling at 68 I honestly can't understand why people go out and try to kill themselves pounding out the miles as it is surely far better for your body to do your exercise fully supported on a bike?

Good luck to the OP with his ruptured Achilles, and when you are recovered make sure you stay on your bike.

BB

Willie Erskine

Über Member
Just a partial tear for me. Started back at hillwalking after a 20 year break. Built up slowly, nothing too hard, on my 8th or 9th walk of the year and ouch the next day after feeling nothing other than a calf cramp during walk and a bit of tenderness. 6 months later and still seeing physio, can tip toe on bad leg but walk 1/2 mile and I'm sore for 2-3 days. Can cycle 20 miles ok (32 miles on Saturday) so having to do that rather than walk. Physio reckons 12 months should see me back out walking!

Edgy Dee

Cranky Old Guy
3,600 miles on the bike this year, and I got a partial rupture two weeks ago at a ceilidh ffs! Another week in plaster before the long road back to recovery begins. Reading this thread just makes me want to cry :cry:. I think I just kissed my 2018 LEJOG goodbye :angry:. Who'd've thought dancing was such risky cross-training exercise!

Firestorm

Veteran
Total rupture 4 1/2 year’s ago.High up in the calf, took a load of calf muscle with it. 10 week’s in plaster with foot at various angles (8 of which were wheelchair bound) a further 6 week’s in a boot.
Now I have lower legs of different shapes and definition , a distinct difference in strength and flexibility between the legs and regular pain / stiffness in the Grammy pin.
I have been told I must never run again, due to the high re-rupture rate in this particular injury .
All done doing a small jig whilst mocking my wife, Sometimes Karma is a right bitch.

Top Bottom