Rural commute.... Winter..... Any thoughts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
In my previous job I commuted all year round as it was an 8 mile well lit urban commute. But I changed jobs in April... I've still got the same distance but it's totally rural, I'm guessing the country lanes I use will be pitch black come end of October...

I'm torn between stopping the commuting and grabbing what mileage I can at weekends.. or lighting the bike up like a Christmas tree and going for it... Self preservation says the former....

There is no alternative lit route as my work is in a tiny village

Views and experiences anyone....

burntoutbanger

Veteran
Get good lights, ride slower. No problem.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
As above. I like my dynamo front light on my commuter, but as long as you have decent front and rear you should be fine. You don't need to be lit up like a Christmas tree, but a couple decent rear lights and a few reflectives should show you up well enough.

Also consider getting studded tyres if you can fit them to your bike. Rural roads are very rarely gritted, so the tyres make a ride much safer IMHO.

Jamieyorky

Veteran
You will be fine, ive often gone out after work for a ride in the dark.

Like burntoutbanger said a good set of lights, be careful of ice on the roads but you will be ok.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
My commute is predominantly rural. Good lights a must as has been said. 500 lumens as a minimum plus a good back up light. Lots of reflective as well. Two or three rear lights.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
As well as a good front light to mount on the bike, it's worth also using a head-mounted light for extra peripheral vision (even if your light has a well-shaped beam, it can sometimes be useful to have an extra light source that you can just point where you're looking). Either get one that can be fixed to a helmet or something like a Petzl Tikka if you don't wear a helmet.

burntoutbanger

Veteran
Meant to add.

If you've been doing the route since April you will have already learned where all the potholes, drains, sharp bends etc. are and you'll be surprised how much you remember their location, even in the dark.

Top Bottom