Rural commute.... Winter..... Any thoughts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

burntoutbanger

Veteran
As well as a good front light to mount on the bike, it's worth also using a head-mounted light for extra peripheral vision (even if your light has a well-shaped beam, it can sometimes be useful to have an extra light source that you can just point where you're looking). Either get one that can be fixed to a helmet or something like a Petzl Tikka if you don't wear a helmet.

Godsend for punctures I should think too.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Godsend for punctures I should think too.

Oh yes! And for reading route sheets on winter audaxes.

ACS

Legendary Member
10 mile rural commute for me. Ay Up lights up front, pair of Smart Lunar R2's, one steady the other flashing, on the back. I have the option for a third which I have used when the fog descends.

High-Viz vest with a lot of reflective strips and some reflective snap bands round the top of my overshoes.

Carry a head torch in my pannier, in case I have a 'visit' and as emergency back up lighting.

Check with the local council about whether they grit the roads you intend to use before the temperatures drop.

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
My commute is predominantly rural. Good lights a must as has been said. 500 lumens as a minimum plus a good back up light. Lots of reflective as well. Two or three rear lights.
Lumens are bunk (who cares how much light it puts in the sky?) and most lights sold as cree are poo. As little as 120 lumens can be a workable front light if the lens is good, but in preference, I go for a dynamo and 30 lux on the German scale at least. Studded ice tyres for the depths of winter. :smile:

Dynamo lights Front/Rear mean no worries about charging batteries and modern hub dynamos are efficient and reliable. Use a set of battery lights as well and a small head-mounted lamp for repairs. You don't need much light to see once you are acclimatized but it is safer to light up.
Note the microclimates, cold dips, and shady ice traps on your route so you can choose when to fit studded ice tyres.
Carry spare insulation for cold-weather repairs, you can get fairly cheap padded zip-up jackets that pack down.

boydj

Legendary Member
As mentioned above, with decent lights on an unlit road you'll be easily visible and therefore probably safer than cycling the same road in daylight. No need for the 'christmas tree' effect, just lights good enough to see by with backup in case of problems. Drivers tend to be more cautious at night when there's a bit of uncertainty on what they are approaching.

steve50

Disenchanted Member
Another vote for the smart lunar r2 rear lights, usb rechargeable and very powerful for a rear light, the makers claim it can be seen from a a mile away.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Front dynamo with a B+M light and 2 rear Smart lights. I live in the wilds of Denmark and the above has done the job for years without any problems. I have a 40km round trip commute and start the ride at 5.30am. Its dark already. I also wear a vis vest to help with visibility and it adds another layer.

macp

Guru
I live in a small village so commuting in the winter its pitch black down the lanes but decent lights sort it and its quite enjoyable

hillrep

Veteran
Lots of good advice above, my 2p worth:
Good lights, 2 front and 2 back (in case of failures, battery running out etc)
Retro-reflectives are good, on you and the bike. Ankle bands are particularly effective when caught in someone's headlamps as the movement shouts cyclist. I use a Proviz jacket (http://www.provizsports.com/ - it was a present)
Ice is the only thing that I would be scared of.
Enjoy :-)

Over last winter I was running this lot on the XLS;

Exposure Strada and Cat-eye volt 300 main fronts,Exposure TraceR rear plus two Tau front and two rear lights on the forks and seat stays and finally a small Infini rear cable tied to the helmet.

The bike has 3M reflective tape as well(in black so it blends in with the bike),and most of the kit has some reflective bits on.

Haven't needed ice tyres yet although I may get some and put on the spare wheels;mostly used Vittoria Randonneurs which coped with most conditions,may go for some Schwalbe S-Ones next though as tubeless do seem to cope with pot-holes and rough surfaces better.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
As a couple of others have pointed out on unlit roads you will be far more visible than on lit streets, couple of decent lights front and rear (in case 1 fails) and you'll be fine.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I use a Proviz jacket (http://www.provizsports.com/ - it was a present)

Never been a fan of Proviz kit - looks a bit dorky. I've always thought they'd be better off licensing their tech to other companies (à la Gore) rather than making finished garments themselves.

That said, they've got some new jackets coming out that actually look not so bad - the really impressive thing about them is they've incorporated the reflective features into coloured fabrics.

Top Bottom