Russell's long term goal / diary. PBP 2019 and Save to Buy Titanium Bike 2020

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Need motivation to save money
Don't spend
want to ride PBP 2019
Ride your bike

OP
OP
Rustybucket

Rustybucket

Veteran
Im going to use this thread to track my progress financially & also the fun bit of riding my bike and building upto PBP2019!

First off ive got about £8,000 on credit cards that I first need to pay off. I always keep buying upgrades for the bikes & extra clothing etc which I now dont need. So I can manage to pay off approx £250 per month. This means by July 2019 I should be Back in Black! Hopefully I can look back in Two and a half years time & have met that goal! That then means if I carry on saving the £250, I would have £3500 saved by September 2020 - so I can buy a new Titanium dream bike. The timing is ideal as that would be my 40th Birthday. (Obviously I wouldn't have this bike for PBP 2019).

Ill update here every month if I've met my Credit Card plan and track all the way upto buying the bike!

Update to follow on the riding the bike plan...

OP
OP
Rustybucket

Rustybucket

Veteran
Not wanting to pee on your parade but it's unlikely you'll clear the £8,000 debt by July 2019 if you're only paying £250 per month. I'd suggest you play with the Money Advice Service's Credit Card Calculator to get some realistic figures.

But it's good to have a goal. Go for it! :okay:

Thanks for this, really useful! I've already done the sensible thing and got the debt on a 0% rate for 2 and half years. So hopefully my goal is realistic!

Trust me to start on Black Friday, missing out on all the offers!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rustybucket

Rustybucket

Veteran
Cycling wise goals for next year:

Try and get through the whole year without being injured. Since the 5 years I've started cycling I haven't made a full year without being off the bike through either Back or Knee troubles.

I've got a fitness / strength / stretching routine which should hopefully help!

Aim to do 3000 miles next year.

I'm going to enter the London Wales London 400k audax in April, which I saw on here.

Might join a cycling club - but don't mind cycling on my own..

That's it for now, plenty of time to start looking at ideas for the new bike!

OP
OP
Rustybucket

Rustybucket

Veteran
Ride more. Get riding 200/300/400k audaxes plus overnight ones.

You don't need to spend much on a PBP bike: I rode it as a vedette on a home-built Ridgeback Platinum with second-hand parts.

Thanks - that's my plan!
Going to do 200km in December riding to Brighton and back!

Congrats on completing PBP are you looking to do the next one?

OP
OP
Rustybucket

Rustybucket

Veteran
Boy oh boy that is a bad place to be starting from, I wish you luck changing your bad spending habits, the ride will be a thousand times easier than getting rid of that debt though.

Serious dose of willpower needed to turn that around. £250/month without any further comfort spending.
Sharpen the scissors and cut that plastic f*cker in half!

I didn't think that amount of debt was too bad...
I love a challenge thou!

OP
OP
Rustybucket

Rustybucket

Veteran
Agreed.....it's too easy to spend squillions on cycling as well - the latest must haves without which I'll be a cr@p cyclist. Actually all anyone really needs is a serviceable bike and some fitness.

I agree I've got countless items of kit I haven't even got round to wearing yet!

I'm not even that particularly fast on a bike!

Hopefully head out for 50miles on Sunday!

Last edited:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Congrats on completing PBP are you looking to do the next one?

I'm hoping to ride London-Edinburgh-London next year, which is 1400k. However that is dependent on a minor hip operation being before Easter.

With PBP in 2019 I'm left with two options should I ride it again: go slower - and enjoy it this time, or go faster and aim for a very quick time. The decision whether to ride and how is probably down to my preparation in 2018.

Last edited:
Top Bottom