Rust on new bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

markstev27

Hi

I have had my bike for around 2 weeks and there is rust on two bolts on the bike

I've been out in dry and wet conditions and have always wiped the bike down but I may have missed some parts

Is there anyway yo remove the rust? I've attached a photo too
20210525_191259.jpg

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Hi

I have had my bike for around 2 weeks and there is rust on two bolts on the bike

I've been out in dry and wet conditions and have always wiped the bike down but I may have missed some parts

Is there anyway yo remove the rust? I've attached a photo too View attachment 590625

Easiest thing might be to swap it for an A2 stainless screw. I can't tell from photo if it's a special type or just a standard screw

OP
OP
M

markstev27

Also just wondered when and what with, should I clean it with

I cleaned my other old bike with muck off

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I would be somewhat niggled if a brand new machine had no effective zinc plating on its fasteners - unless the bike was a sub-£200 Halfords or Argos sourced job where quality expectations are low to begin with.

OP
OP
M

markstev27

I would be somewhat niggled if a brand new machine had no effective zinc plating on its fasteners - unless the bike was a sub-£200 Halfords or Argos sourced job where quality expectations are low to begin with.
It was £500 but from Halfords

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
You can replace with stainless bolts but I would avoid this on the braking system. Stainless steel may not be as strong as the bolts that are on there.

Top Bottom