Rust removal?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

VintageRuby

Clinging on for dear life.
Hi all, I'm looking into ways of removing rust from my padels, bear in mind that I'm poor lol
I saw a video just now that recommended white vinegar to remove rust from tools, would it work in the same way? The reason I ask is that the video said you had to soak the tools in the vinegar and there is no way I'm going to attempt to remove the pedals, as I'm still learning and have a horrible feeling that they won't go back on haha

Cheers in advance

WD40 and tinfoil.
Spray on a bit, scrunch up tinfoil, and rub.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Cillit Bang bathroom spray removes rust, if you already have some then spray it liberally on your pedals and leave it for a bit before a final spray and a brush with a washing up brush, or a scrub with a pan scourer. Rinse off and dry afterwards.
WD40 is also a decent rust remover. If you have some already, just use that, same steps. If you have both products, use the Cillit for the first pass, then wash the pedals, then spray with WD40 and wipe.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Just keep away from the bearings . WD-40 is a lot better solvent than a lubricant, and cleaning strength white vinegar is also a great degreaser. And that's a pretty tough job, removing pedals, then cleaning and re-lubing bearings, cones, and races. Although it will have to be done at some point, probably.

RichardB

Slightly retro
Coca-Cola. Look on Youtube for a guy who derusts the chrome bumpers on his car with it.

Coke contains mild phosphoric acid*, and is only a diluted version of the active ingredient in Kurust and Jenolite. It converts iron oxide (rust) to ferric phosphate, which is inert. Paint it on, leave for a bit, wash it off and then apply oil or wax to inhibit further rust. If your rusty bits now look black, it's worked. If the pedals are chrome plated steel, then bear in mind that by the time you can see rust, the chrome layer has already been pinholed, and further rusting is inevitable, so you will need to keep on top of it.

*It's what gives the drink its tangy flavour, and is the reason why I never drink it.

CycleD

Regular
When i was Seven or Eight my granddad showed me a trick using mud and paper and it removed some light rust. But now I know about rustosol

dim

231892882?$prod_main$.jpg

You need the liquid version and not the powder version

quote:
Removing Rust
Bar Keepers Friend removes rust better than other top-selling cleansers.
“Care and Cleaning – Kitchen Sinks … Products to Consider … For rust removal: Bar Keepers Friend” – Kohler® Kitchen Products (www.us.kohler.com)

“This product is the only product I’ve found that will quickly remove rust and scale from my acrylic Jacuzzi® that will not damage it” – Clarence, Mogadore, OH

“I rinsed off some dusty cans of beans and set them on my Formica® countertop to dry. Later, when I moved them, I discovered they had left rust stains on the countertop. I found your product at HEB grocery store. It not only completely removed the rings, but after seeing the great results, I used it on my kitchen sink and cooktop … all with great results (and no icky bleach smell). Thanks!” Roxanne, Austin, TX

Attachments

• 231892882?$prod_main$.jpg
    231892882?$prod_main$.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 50
Top Bottom