Rust

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GlenBen

Über Member
Spent the afternoon rebuilding the commuter. Apparently this winter (it's 5th) has been quite harsh on the poor thing. Bit weird as I thought it has seemed quite dry and mild, but there you go.

Anyway, there is quite a lot of rust on the frame, mainly the chainstay and the seatstay bridge, but a little on the toptube too. Is there a point where it becomes dangerous and is there anything that can be done now its got this bad?

Few pictures,
20170222_151459.jpg
20170222_151510.jpg

Thanks

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
It isn't too deep. Sand it to remove all loose rust. Paint it with Jenolite or similar rust killer and then paint.
As it is a black frame you could use Hammerite smooth - which claims to be suitable for painting directly on to rust.

OP
OP
GlenBen

GlenBen

Über Member
Bought a tin of hammerite, Ill add it to next weeks jobs. Thanks.

Seeing yours User9609 makes me think its not too bd after all. :laugh:

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
Yes - lots of different brands in any motorist shop, Wilkinsons, hardware store. A little goes a long way so a small bottle will last you years.

OP
OP
GlenBen

GlenBen

Über Member
Managed to get the frame sanded this afternoon, ready for the loctite rust remover stuff to go on.

Starting to feel like Im restoring a bike I found in a canal rather than patching a bit of rust.

Drago

Legendary Member
Paint it with DeOx gel.

Relax with a cuppa.

Rinse off gel.

Repaint. Easy, and no tiresome muffing around with sanding etc.

On a black frame something like Aquasteel works a treat. The black coating on treated metal is resilient enough on its own, all it needs is a blob of black humbrol over it

And don't let anyone tell you that you can't do a custom paint job with rattle cans...this bike did thousands of miles since it was changed from a scratched and faded white. And even survived cat claws!

Sensor-and-Ginger.jpg

Top Bottom