Rusty nuts.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I'm designing a table/bench, and want a big old rusty nut embedded in each corner of the table top. hopefully I'll get what I'm after from the scrap yard... but if I have to buy new, how can i get a stainless steel nut like this...

heavy-hex-nut-stainless-steel-copy-500x500.jpg

...to look like this...

11376298-old-rusty-nut-on-a-white-background.jpg

...that won't take several years?

Last edited:

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Iron sulphate or sulphate of iron. About a fiver in any garden centre. Mix in some water and soak your nuts.

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

Don't buy stainless steel for a start, because you will never achieve the desired look with them!

Plain steel, or bzp if that is all you can get, but getting nuts that are already old and rusty is the best option. How big is big? The nuts off old towbars can be pretty big, but the really BIG stuff will be from a lorry scrap yard or somewhere industrial.
Absolutely.
M20*, preferably with a 150mm bolt/screw... but i don't mind if the bolt/screw is new... i only want the nuts to look rustic.

*or an imperial equivalent. Doesn't matter providing i can get matching bolts.

As @I like Skol says, don't buy stainless. You use stainless (or galvanised) to avoid rust.
If you use new, heat them red hot - it'll destroy any coating on them. Cooling in salt water will probably speed the process along. Overnight will probably get the result you want.

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

As @I like Skol says, don't buy stainless. You use stainless (or galvanised) to avoid rust.
If you use new, heat them red hot - it'll destroy any coating on them. Cooling in salt water will probably speed the process along. Overnight will probably get the result you want.
aye i get that... it's just looking online, most seem to be rust resistant in someway or another, hence asking how i can get them rusty. There's no way i could heat them 'til red hot, so that's not going to work for me, but a good idea anyway :smile:

Wobblers

Euthermic
If you're patient, simply immerse them in salt solution - that'll probably take a few days. Adding a little bleach ought to speed things up. If they come galvanised, dunking them in vinegar for a couple of hours will remove the zinc coating - then they can get the brine treatment.

Top Bottom