Rutland Cycles and a Brooks saddle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ricksavery

Über Member
Just wanted to have a rant and see if anyone else has had a similar time with Rutland. Ordered a Brooks B17 in Nov 2009. It arrived looking lovely and I put it on the bike and rode it. Always seemed a bit short in the nose but not being familiar with Brooks saddles I assumed that was the way it was. Read a post somewhere that women's saddles are shorter, so i thought I'd have a look at mine, as I was in danger of castrting myself on bumpy ground once or twice. Yes, you've guessed! They had sent me the B17S, the ladies version by mistake. In fairness, I should have checked when it arrived but, as i say, I'm no expert and had no reason to suspect it was wrong. Now, of course they won't take it back cos it is used. i can see their point, but i am bloody furious. Their incompetence (and my lack of checking) has cost me £50 !*?!!& My only (futile) recourse is to never use them again - like they will care! Glad that's off my chest.
Good news is that I now (when they send it back) have a 6 month old B17S going spare. Anyone know if there is a re-sell market for a second-hand Brooks ? :-)

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
you bet there is. I sold one yesterday.

A small ad on a cycling forum, like this one, is the most straightforward way, but if you like the cut and thrust of eBay you can unload it there too.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
If Greg can get £30 for a Brooks that had done thousands of miles and was the perfect shape of his arse, I'm pretty sure you should get a good percentage back:biggrin:

OP
OP
ricksavery

ricksavery

Über Member
Thanks everyone. Nice to know I can get a good proportion of my otherwise lost money back. Rich p - how do you know it was the perfect shape of Greg's arse? steady!;)
RedBike - where did you sell yours by the way?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
rich p said:
If Greg can get £30 for a Brooks that had done thousands of miles and was the perfect shape of his arse, I'm pretty sure you should get a good percentage back:biggrin:

Mine's a very generic arse I'll have you know :ohmy:

Manonabike

Über Member
ricksavery said:
Just wanted to have a rant and see if anyone else has had a similar time with Rutland. Ordered a Brooks B17 in Nov 2009. It arrived looking lovely and I put it on the bike and rode it. Always seemed a bit short in the nose but not being familiar with Brooks saddles I assumed that was the way it was. Read a post somewhere that women's saddles are shorter, so i thought I'd have a look at mine, as I was in danger of castrting myself on bumpy ground once or twice. Yes, you've guessed! They had sent me the B17S, the ladies version by mistake. In fairness, I should have checked when it arrived but, as i say, I'm no expert and had no reason to suspect it was wrong. Now, of course they won't take it back cos it is used. i can see their point, but i am bloody furious. Their incompetence (and my lack of checking) has cost me £50 !*?!!& My only (futile) recourse is to never use them again - like they will care! Glad that's off my chest.
Good news is that I now (when they send it back) have a 6 month old B17S going spare. Anyone know if there is a re-sell market for a second-hand Brooks ? :-)

Correct me if I'm wrong but the B17S would not be fit for purpose so you would be entitle to an exchange or refund - just mention small claims court, if I were you I would take them.

I have a brooks Team Pro that I want to exchange for a B17. Maybe the wife would like a B17s and you might be interested in the Team Pro.... let me know and I will ask my wife too.

e-rider

crappy member
Ebay should see a good amount of your cash come back to you.

I've used Rutland Cycles to purchase 2 bikes and numerous accessories over the years. Their customer service is OK but not great. I'm surprised that they wouldn't take it back - if you get in touch with the manager you might have more joy, but on the other hand it doesn't surprise me that much. If you check out their ebay score you'll see that they have many unhappy customers!

e-rider

crappy member
Manonabike said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but the B17S would not be fit for purpose so you would be entitle to an exchange or refund - just mention small claims court, if I were you I would take them.

I have a brooks Team Pro that I want to exchange for a B17. Maybe the wife would like a B17s and you might be interested in the Team Pro.... let me know and I will ask my wife too.

It is the consumer's responsiblilty to check that the product is the correct one before use so Rutland wouldn't need to exchange it - although they should IMO. Really pi$$£s me off when shops send out the wrong item!

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Manonabike said:

OK I will. The wrong goods were supplied. Culpability on both sides. Caveat Emptor on the buyers side and e&oe on the suppliers side. Had the saddle been returned immediately and unused I'm sure the/any retailer would have replaced them. But if the buyer fitted the saddle to his bike and then used it for some period of time and then wants a refund or replacement..... From his LBS, in a face-to-face transaction, where he's a regular good customer, maybe, just maybe, the retailer might do something out of goodwill. A one off customer buying online? No chance, beyond a wing and a prayer, in this day and age.

The buyer accepted the goods supplied used them, had the benefit of them and only then, after a period of use, decided they weren't appropriate. The goods aren't faulty in anyway just the wrong item. Think shoes, if it was a pair of women's shoes purchased and supplied in error, rather than a saddle, would we really think the shoe shop should refund/replace when the shoes have been worn for months?

OP
OP
ricksavery

ricksavery

Über Member
I agree with you Greg. It was my fault that I didn't check it was the right item before fitting and riding. I made the mistake, in my heady delight of having such a lovely saddle, of assuming they had sent the right one. Seriously, I don't expect them to change it - can see the analogy with shoes - but it just makes me mad that they sent the wrong one:angry: Particularly as they had my money for quite a while whilst awaiting stock - maybe that's why I was so happy when it arrived. I've learnt my lesson, and it seems it may not be as expensive a lesson as I first thought. Still trying with Rutland though - maybe a manager there is feeling benevolent:wacko:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
you raise some good points rick, and I know how quickly the heady rush of delayed gratification turns to the salt tears of regret as the realisation dawns that you've been done and shot yourself in the foot at the same time.

I won't deal with people that take my money (in whatever form, bank the cheque, charge my card) then make me wait as something isn't in stock. At my LBS I'll maybe pay a deposit for them to get something in especially for me, but online, if it ain't in stock the order is cancelled; lots more pebbles on this cyclist's beach and a bargain ain't a bargain if I can't bag it now is it?

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Brooks offer a two-year happiness warranty ( I think).

Might be worth getting cheeky and sending it back to them saying you no like.

Top Bottom