RWGPS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Domus

Guru
Has the free part changed?
I use it to create routes and put on my Wahoo, and have searched for routes on their site and used those in the past.
However a friend has generated a route, sent me a link but I cannot download it without paying £40. When did this change come about? Or am I being thick?

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Ask friend to download the file and send you that

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Mmm I've just set one of my rides to share with friends, then opened the link in incognito mode, so not signed in or recognised by RWGPS. Then I downloaded the gpx file with no issues and not needing to be signed in.

So I'm non the wiser why you're being asked for money I'm afraid, but it doesn't seem to be a change that the site has made.

It is a problem with all of the sites/apps that offer a "free" component - the offerings can change frequently.

As suggested above, your friend should be able to download his route in tcx or gpx format and send it to you.

You could also try searching for his route on your RWGPS, then "pin" it. I think that will transfer to your Wahoo when you sync (but that may have changed too!^_^)

wajc

Veteran
As far as I know you can download plain vanilla GPX tracks of shared routes without being a member. IIRC You can't download full fat TCX files with fancy points of interest and cue cards. If you select options like "notify before turn" then you'll be prompted to upgrade your account. I'm a premium member but I just logged out and tried it and it worked.

Has your friend made it properly public?

Try this: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/33665261 It's public. Click on More, then export as file, then select GPX.

Your link works fine for me and I don't pay for RWGPS- I think you're right about the 'public' aspect of the created route.
In fact I've downloaded the TCX file and I can see all the RWGPS auto generated cuesheet entries so not restricted to GPX files.

I share any routes I create in the exact same way as you.

Last edited:

Nick Saddlesore

Über Member
From the page where the ride or route opens (i.e. not Classic or edit mode), click on share. This will generate a web address with a privacy code which you can pass on, free of charge, even if the route is Private or Friends only. I have access to a Basic a/c and a Free a/c. I can copy a Basic route, complete with POI's to the Free account. RwGPS doesn't charge except for subscriptions, and you don't need an account to view and download - many AUK organisers use RwGPS to distribute their routes.

OP
OP
Domus

Domus

Guru
Faffed about for ages last night to no avail. Signed up for trial and route downloaded and loaded on my Wahoo. Is £40 good value? Mmmm

OP
OP
Domus

Domus

Guru
No, that was part of my faffing. Thanks for trying.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Faffed about for ages last night to no avail. Signed up for trial and route downloaded and loaded on my Wahoo. Is £40 good value? Mmmm
I would say it is good value at about +/- 80p a week to plan, store and share as many routes as one wishes.

Personally I don't like to take advantage of free services which I use regularly. I want RWGPS to be available to me in years to come. I have subscribed to both RWGPS and Strava for several years for this reason. I don't feel I should have to support the platform for the benefit of others who don't or won't pay.

For me it's definitely worth £40/year.

Last edited:

Jan.trev

I would say it is good value at about +/- 80p a week to plan, store and share as many routes as one wishes.

Personally I don't like to take advantage of free services which I use regularly. I want RWGPS to be available to me in years to come. I have subscribed to both RWGPS and Strava for several years for this reason. I don't feel I should have to support the platform for the benefit of others who don't or won't pay.

For me it's definitely worth £40/year.
I agree the library is worth even that much money. My question is - I have loaded 150 routes into the library. There are 100 archived as I do not want all on my element Roam at the same time. At the moment I would like the other 50 from my routes page on my roam. How do I go about this please?

kenmiles

Those that you have not archived will appear on your roam, so unarchive the ones you want.
If you make them Favourite they will then appear on the roam when you set Sort by Favourites and others will be hidden.

Top Bottom