Ryanair nonsense as ususl

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
It shows there are quite a few stupid people out there. I'm glad that Ryanair (which I avoid flying if at all possible) have changed the rules as people were extracting the urine.
But it only works if the crew, at gate and door enforce the rules.

Outbound to Van I went to the gate staff and said "Is this flight full? If so can I offload our wheelie bags now rather than facing the scrum when you call it?" They were delighted that I'd taken the initiative. Inbound they didn't call it but were taking wheelies at the door, which makes for an incredibly slow and laborious boarding process, but once we were on they gave up and were still letting families board with three or four items of baggage per family member. By the time zone five boarded the overheads were nearly full.

(Going to overide tlh's economic scruples and go business class next time - nine hours of hearing some oafish teen playing music and filums on their tablet WITHOUT headphones, "she doesn't like wearing them" said pissed parent to cabin attendant when someone complained, near drove me to distraction. Folk are bringing beered-up aggressive cattle-class short-haul behaviours to long-haul flights and that is just incredibly selfish.)

Last edited:

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Inbound they didn't call it but were taking wheelies at the door, which makes for an incredibly slow and laborious boarding process, but once we were on they gave up and were still letting families board with three or four items of baggage per family member. By the time zone five boarded the overheads were nearly full.

The gate staff, who at many airports are not Ryanair staff at all, probably feel that they're not paid enough to take ownership of the problem and simply pass it on to the cabin crew, who have no option but to sort it out otherwise the flight isn't going anywhere.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
It's not rocket science. Low-cost carriers typically pitch their seats at 29-30". So that's an average of 10" of bin space per passenger, minus any used for emergency equipment and the crew's own bags.

In other words if every passenger brought on board even a single, regulation-sized bag, there wouldn't be enough space to accommodate them all.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
It's not rocket science. Low-cost carriers typically pitch their seats at 29-30". So that's an average of 10" of bin space per passenger, minus any used for emergency equipment and the crew's own bags.

In other words if every passenger brought on board even a single, regulation-sized bag, there wouldn't be enough space to accommodate them all.
Front rows and some exit rows don't have full-sized overheads, nor do they gave a handy under the seat in front off you option.

But none of this is a surprise to the operator.

If offered I always take up the "free in the hold sir?" offer.

Such is the efficiency of the Swedes and the Danes one could arrive on a Norwegian flight to Copenhagen or Arlanda Sunday night and find your checked bags already on the carousel before you got to the baggage hall. And you have to go through the baggage hall and it is on a direct route out.

Such is the parp that is Gatwick that it once took longer to recover my bags than the flight home had lasted.

swansonj

Guru
Front rows and some exit rows don't have full-sized overheads, nor do they gave a handy under the seat in front off you option.

But none of this is a surprise to the operator.

If offered I always take up the "free in the hold sir?" offer.

Such is the efficiency of the Swedes and the Danes one could arrive on a Norwegian flight to Copenhagen or Arlanda Sunday night and find your checked bags already on the carousel before you got to the baggage hall. And you have to go through the baggage hall and it is on a direct route out.

Such is the parp that is Gatwick that it once took longer to recover my bags than the flight home had lasted.
I was going to make an alternative comparison: on arriving at Heathwick or Gatrow, you often have to walk so far from the gate to immigration and baggage reclaim that there's a pretty good chance your bag will have arrived before you.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I was going to make an alternative comparison: on arriving at Heathwick or Gatrow, you often have to walk so far from the gate to immigration and baggage reclaim that there's a pretty good chance your bag will have arrived before you.
Not chance at Gatwick, you could walk from the gate to Charlwood and back before my former classmates put your bags on the belt which is held together with twigs and string.

MarkF

Guru
I went to Alicante last week under the new baggage policy. I am not paying £6/7 per bag so that I am a "priority" boarder and ensuring my bag can be carried onto the plane, nor am I paying the same to secure a seat next to my son, I honestly just don't care where my bag goes, or where I sit.

On boarding my son's bag was taken from him and put in the hold, yet mine (same bag) was allowed on the plane? On the way back it was reversed, his was allowed on, mine put in the hold, total nonsense, we were sat 21 rows apart yet with 3 seats each to choose from, it was great.

classic33

Leg End Member
[QUOTE 5139230, member: 259"]Got all of the money we paid for the flights repaid on the credit card today.[/QUOTE]
And Liam?

Top Bottom