SA lottery - nobbled?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

si_c

Guru
That's interesting... for some reason it seems to have thrown the forum software out, unless si_c edited his post too?
I did, I was trying to reply to Accy whilst also typing out the message above - I forgot to cut out that reply so quickly edited it :tongue: You shouldn't be jumping on the replies so fast at this time of night! Surely you should be tucked up in bed right now :laugh:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
In terms of lotteries the probability of a given set of numbers is a function of the number of balls and the selected number of balls.

So it's 1 in the total number of combinations, this is calculated as 59! / (6! * 53!) in the case of the UK lotto - or about 1 in 45million. For the SA powerball example you have an initial pick of 5 balls from 45, and one powerball from 20. To calculate this we would use the permutations instead - we want one very specific permutation of these balls, so we calculate the number of permutations ( 45! / 40! ) and multiply by the 20 possibilities of the powerball to get the estimate I mentioned above.
I'm multitasking... was it 45 balls in the SA lottery or 50? :wacko:

In fact, I'm doing my usual trick of forgetting to get off the computer. I have a couple of TV shows to catch up on so I'll check back in tomorrow - byeee! :hello:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I did, I was trying to reply to Accy whilst also typing out the message above - I forgot to cut out that reply so quickly edited it :tongue: You shouldn't be jumping on the replies so fast at this time of night! Surely you should be tucked up in bed right now :laugh:
It's all so confusing.:wacko: I deleted my post,thinking Colin was talking to me only to find he was talking to you,but by then he'd quoted my post.:smile:

classic33

Leg End Member
I'm multitasking... was it 45 balls in the SA lottery or 50? :wacko:

In fact, I'm doing my usual trick of forgetting to get off the computer. I have a couple of TV shows to catch up on so I'll check back in tomorrow - byeee! :hello:
Wiki says 52 balls/numbers.

Top Bottom