SAAB - the end of an era?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

byegad

Legendary Member
SAAB Aircraft are made by a different company to the cars. SAAB split the two businesses a good while back. So the Swedish Airforce and several others around the world, including the RAF who own a couple of Gryphons IIRC will still have a manufacturer and its back up available.

Sad about the car company, a friend of mine has owned two. One bought in 1972 and another bought when it was worn out a couple of years back. Maybe they were just too good.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
General motors killed Saab with mediocrity. Shame.

+1 !

tyred

Legendary Member
I have always fancied one of the "real" Saabs but have no interest whatsoever in a tarted up and over priced Opel.

Globalti

Legendary Member

This is more true than you realise. With increasingly stringent safety regulations, improved quality standards and manufacturing techniques, faster design and development times, increasing cross-compatibility of parts and even entire cars manufactured efficiently at the same un-named factory (see C1, Aygo and Pug 107) different car brands now resemble each other so closely that it's hard to tell them apart. In the end by design they have all evolved into virtually the same car, available with different badges and a bewildering variety of trim levels and gadgets so as to offer some personalisation to the buyer. So the winner is the group with the most financial and marketing muscle and ability to sell cars at near cost in order to maintain turnover.

The same thing is happening in my own industry (fragrance) where over-zealous safety activists have killed off all the interesting raw materials leaving even established brands an emasculated shadow of their former selves.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Spot on.

I, for one, plan to continue to own and drive SAAB's until the non availability of spares makes it impossible. Cos I loves 'em, and I've got my heart set on a late model 'Classic' 900 at some point in my future.

Bicycle

I never knew Saab used the Triumph or Ford engines, I would like to know more about that, shows you 40 years in the motor trade and I know nothing.

The V4 in later 96s and 95s was (I think) the Taunus engine made in Germany.

The 99 motor was an adapted 8v 1850cc Dolomite unit. I think they used various updated and imprved versions of it for many years, in the same way that Rover managed to squeeze decades out of a small-block Buick V8 that nobody else thought was any good.

Much as everyone pretends they loved the 16v Dolly Sprint, SAAB did rather better things with the same bottom end when they introduced the Turbo. It was also more reliable.

And now they look to be going the same way as Triumph.... Oh dear.

A neighbour in London had a Triumph Acclaim (if I remember correctly). What a sad end to an icon...

Similarly, the CityRover...

I drove a Tata Safari in India about ten years ago. It was a complete joke of a 4x4. Tata now own Jaguar. Blimey!

I remember my uncle buying a Datsun 180 in the 70s to replace a Volvo estate. He said we'd all be driving Japanese cars in 20 years. How we laughed!

I must stop typing now, tears are affecting my vision... :smile:

ASC1951

Guru
Their cars were/are of good quality, comfort and peformance, and easily stood up to the more 'exclusive' German makes.

I didn't own one, although I drove quite a few of them in the 14 years I lived there, including a borrowed 99 for a few months one summer and it was a great car.
Well, I did own one - and it didn't stand up to the competition. Old-fashioned, heavy, expensive to run and it didn't hold its value.
I'm surprised they didn't go bust a couple of decades ago.

subaqua

What’s the point
The V4 in later 96s and 95s was (I think) the Taunus engine made in Germany.

The 99 motor was an adapted 8v 1850cc Dolomite unit. I think they used various updated and imprved versions of it for many years, in the same way that Rover managed to squeeze decades out of a small-block Buick V8 that nobody else thought was any good.

Much as everyone pretends they loved the 16v Dolly Sprint, SAAB did rather better things with the same bottom end when they introduced the Turbo. It was also more reliable.

And now they look to be going the same way as Triumph.... Oh dear.

A neighbour in London had a Triumph Acclaim (if I remember correctly). What a sad end to an icon...

Similarly, the CityRover...

I drove a Tata Safari in India about ten years ago. It was a complete joke of a 4x4. Tata now own Jaguar. Blimey!

I remember my uncle buying a Datsun 180 in the 70s to replace a Volvo estate. He said we'd all be driving Japanese cars in 20 years. How we laughed!

I must stop typing now, tears are affecting my vision... :smile:

if the V4 was the ford engine then it was a poor choice from an engineering poit of view. the fibre timing gears regularly used to disintegrate with disastrous results . a change to steel ones before the disintegration solved the problem but created a newer noise and lubrication problem.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
if the V4 was the ford engine then it was a poor choice from an engineering poit of view. the fibre timing gears regularly used to disintegrate with disastrous results . a change to steel ones before the disintegration solved the problem but created a newer noise and lubrication problem.
timing_gear_failed.JPG

But the balance shaft fibre gears generally only fail when the balance shaft bushes are shot. How do they get shot? Poor lubrication and maladjusted drive belts. Well maintained V4 95/6's SAABs can cover huge mileages. Then you can pop some steel or alloy ones on.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
The 99 motor was an adapted 8v 1850cc Dolomite unit.
The original 99 engine was a Triumph lump made in Britain and shipped to SAAB. Started life as a smaller unit and then grew to 1850cc.

I think in '72 SAAB took over production in house because Triumph reliability wasn't the best, and redesigned the Truimph lump to be the SAAB Type B. Early 80's and a more radical redesign saw the Type H spring into life which was in production iirc until ?2008?

subaqua

What’s the point
i remember reading an article in a rally magazine about "the beast" a 70s SAAB with 2 V4 engines grafted together to make a V8 . I wanted a SAAB after that.

tyred

Legendary Member
i remember reading an article in a rally magazine about "the beast" a 70s SAAB with 2 V4 engines grafted together to make a V8 . I wanted a SAAB after that.

They actually made an experimental 2 stroke model with two of the 3 cyclinder 850cc engines joined together to make a straight six two stroke. It is in their museum. I remember reading about it in a car magazine where they actually went and drove it.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
They actually built a few pre-production 99's with Triumph Stag engines in but decided on the turbo instead.

subaqua

What’s the point
They actually made an experimental 2 stroke model with two of the 3 cyclinder 850cc engines joined together to make a straight six two stroke. It is in their museum. I remember reading about it in a car magazine where they actually went and drove it.

thats the one. knew it was two engines grafted together

Top Bottom