Sachs Huret advice desperately needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

woodbutcher

Veteran
This is really not my day .... l tried multiple posts and they got merged so this is a new post on the same subject, namely my total lack of success in hanging the Sachs Huret rear derailleur on to the Faggin.
The problem is that the hex-bolt is spring loaded and won't turn into the appropriate place for it in the dropout and l haven't the foggiest idea of what to do next. Any ideas would be very gratefully received.
I even managed to get the attached photo upside down....whats going on :sad:

Attachments

• 2017-03-14 11.42.16.jpg
    2017-03-14 11.42.16.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 63

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
I don't know. Your problem is hardly anyone has ever even seen that groupset. That's the reason for the lack of response.

I am wondering if it is similar to Mavic rear mech I have? I struggled mightily to get it to "Spring" like all the Shimano and Campagnolo mechs I had ever used.

I can't remember exactly, but the Mavic had a spring and a circlip arrangement. You put it together out of position as it were and then twisted it against itself to load up the spring. When it was sufficiently loaded, the recess that took the circlip would appear. You then used your third hand(!) to fit the circlip and everything was held together.

You then attached it to the frame and thanks to the internal spring, the chain etc would have the correct amount of resistance.

It is quite a tricky concept to get across in writing and was equally trick to get right!

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
The spring loaded thingy has a bolt with a threaded end which has to screw into a correspondingly threaded hole in the dropout. the problem is that l can't turn the hex -bolt because the spring becomes ever tighter and l can't even get half a turn on the bolt !!

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
I don't know. Your problem is hardly anyone has ever even seen that groupset. That's the reason for the lack of response.

I am wondering if it is similar to Mavic rear mech I have? I struggled mightily to get it to "Spring" like all the Shimano and Campagnolo mechs I had ever used.

I can't remember exactly, but the Mavic had a spring and a circlip arrangement. You put it together out of position as it were and then twisted it against itself to load up the spring. When it was sufficiently loaded, the recess that took the circlip would appear. You then used your third hand(!) to fit the circlip and everything was held together.

You then attached it to the frame and thanks to the internal spring, the chain etc would have the correct amount of resistance.

It is quite a tricky concept to get across in writing and was equally trick to get right!
It sounds similar to the Sachs, there is a circlip holding the bolt and the loading on the spring seems fine but l can't see how to turn the bolt into the hanger because of the resistance of the spring .Tricky is the right description !!

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
If u mean that bit it won't turn then that main pivot is seized up - might be RIP
Bingo Ipretro1....l thought if the thing is caput then l have nothing to loose by taking it completely apart and so l found myself the proud owner of a heap of springs,washers, widgets and "C" clips. What l also found was a very hard mixture of old grease, and dust etc. Cleaned everything, teflon sprayed everything, put the lot back together and guess what, it still didn't work......just kidding it went back on like a dream...Phew !:thumbsup:

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
I

Mine is similar but l think earlier version Sachs Huret. Anyway l thought if it is broken in some way l have nothing to loose by taking it apart which l did and had a lovely pile of springs,washers, widgets and various other bits, all of which l cleaned of their accumulated grease and crud. Amazingly for me l goth whole lot reassembled and low and behold it worked and l got it hung from the dropout !!:thumbsup:

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
In the end I got that annoyed I thought, I don't care if the damn thing breaks. I put a fair amount of twist though it and it finally went in. I spent the next few rides expecting the thing to shatter in a most impressive shrapnel sort of way. It was fine and still is.

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...
I

Mine is similar but l think earlier version Sachs Huret. Anyway l thought if it is broken in some way l have nothing to loose by taking it apart which l did and had a lovely pile of springs,washers, widgets and various other bits, all of which l cleaned of their accumulated grease and crud. Amazingly for me l goth whole lot reassembled and low and behold it worked and l got it hung from the dropout !!:thumbsup:
The one in the video is a Duopar Eco.

Top Bottom